When I think of St Patrick's Day I remember hearing Irish music after landing at Shannon, Ireland while we were travelling by bus from Limerick to the small village of Adare. It was an ideal place to spend our first 3 nights in Ireland. Adare's main street has a row of thatched cottages and the people there are hospitable and very friendly.
We made bus trips to Bunratty Castle where we explored the reconstructed historic village and enjoyed a medieval banquet. There we were entertained by classically trained singers and musicians. Other memories include a jaunting horse car ride to Ross Castle in Killarney National Park. I remember listening to the waitresses speak Gaelic in a tiny restaurant, and listening to teenagers tease each other as they rode home to Adare after a day of shopping in Limerick.
In Dublin we watched Irish dancing while enjoying Guiness and a pub meal in the Knightsbridge, visiting Trinity and the National Gallery and shopping in Cleary's on O'Connell Street,and on Grafton Street. We visited Malahide Castle, and were lucky enough to buy the last two tickets at The Gate Theatre to see "Dancing At Lughnasa". I'd like to remember more so will read my journal again before March 17th. I'm dreaming of another trip to Ireland one of these years. Happy St Patrick's Day to you and don't forget to wear a bit of green.
"Wherever you go and whatever you do
may the luck of the Irish be there with you!"

It all sounds so wonderful! One of my dreams used to be visiting Ireland. Now I know that I'll visit such places via your memories of having done so. Thank you for some wonderful descriptions.
ReplyDeleteThat read like a bit of Maeve Binchy!
ReplyDeleteI've never been to Ireland, but I'd love to visit the places you've named. We saw the play "Dancing At Lughnasa" years ago at the tiny jewel box of a theater here in Victoria, The Langdon Court - it was very well done!
Sounds like a great visit to Ireland. Would love to visit one day. Have you watched Ballykissangel?
ReplyDeleteHappy St. Patrick's Day to you Sheila. Visiting Ireland is on my list of "places to go". Thanks for the lovely teaser to entice me.
ReplyDeleteI love Ireland, and have been fortunate enough to have visited it quite a few times over the years. I'd like t go one more time to explore Donegal and the Aran Islands -- two places I have not yet visited. I believe my Irish ancestors were from Donegal.
ReplyDeleteHappy St. Patrick's Day!
Lovely memories. It brought back some memories for me too as I have visited some of those places too. happy St Pat's Day
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful memories of your visit to Ireland. I've never been there but would love to go one day. I hope your St. Patrick's Day is a lovely one. Pamela
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you were able to go to Ireland, sounds like you had a wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteHasn't this winter been L O N G ? I don't usually mind, but this one has become tedious, it's blowing and snowing and was -22 when we got up this morning. For some reason our house feels very cold today, hubby and I both are cold to the bone and we have the temp up higher by a whole degree.
I hope your day is sunny and bright!
Hugs, Cindy
Thanks for sharing your memories of Ireland with us! Glad to hear you enjoyed Adare, the thatched cottages make this little town unique and you are totally right, the atmosphere and the friendliness of people are really overwhelming :) I loved the jaunting car tour of the National Park in Killarney, it is the best way to experience the beautiful scenery and relax at the same time!
ReplyDelete