Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Flowers of Summer



Within the next few weeks we'll wake up to see the first frost so it's time to enjoy the flowers of summer.  These are some photos I took in Italy and the collage is of flowers in my yard.  I'm enjoying my deck more than my yard these days though.  There are grasshoppers by the millions who are munching on our rows of lettuce, swiss chard and raspberries.  The carrot tops and beet tops have been stripped by some deer and the wildlife too close for my liking.  Yesterday the farmer was filling up the water tank from the pond across the way and he watched a black bear cross the road.  The night before he had to slow his pickup and wait until a cow moose decided to leave her spot in the middle of the road.  She eyed the truck for awhile and then took a step into the ditch and watched the farmer as he drove by.    Hope that you're enjoying the final weeks of summer. 


The following pictures are for Pat.  She commented on her wonderful blog, Mille Fiore Favoriti that New York has a population of 8 million so these signs I snapped last summer while waiting for the ferry to Gabriola Island are obviously out of date but the comparisons are certainly worth noting,  Click to enlarge the signs. If you haven't already discovered Pat's wonderful blog about living in New York City, just click here. You will soon be fascinated with the wonderful pictures of the amazing sights of New York City.
Pat I sure hope you get a chuckle out of these statistics!


13 comments:

  1. Noooooo! You said the dreaded word - frost! But I guess it's time to face the music and realize that the summer we longed for has passed us by, leaving us with a quasi-summer. But you are right, it's time to keep enjoying the flowers and such warmth as we've got.
    Sounds like the critters are taking over at your place. But your flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers and parks, Sheila. It has cooled here into a tolerable 80's with low humidity and I have been enjoying each and every moment! I am more a fan of cooler autumn weather, but I will miss the flowers and fresh vegetables of summer.

    Yes, New York City is mainly concrete, except for it's parks and botanical gardens. To think over 8 million people live here still boggles my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat last summer I visited Gabriola Island off the coast of Vancouver Island in British Columbia. I took a picture of a sign at the ferry dock that I meant to show you so I'll add it to this post now...just for comparison's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flower photos are very beautiful! The sign for Gabriola Island is pretty funny, quite the comparisons.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. how lovely!


    Aloha from Waikiki;




    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness me is it only really a matter of weeks till you expect frost, what a short summer you have. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Italian flowers and a gorgeous mosaic, what nice things to come across on this gloomy Friday morning in Normandy.
    Sorry to hear the insects are devouring your vegetables.
    I've lost most of my chinese leaf, cabbages and cauliflowers to cabbage white butterflies and their evil offspring this season!
    bon weekend
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed seeing the sign nesr the Gabriola Island ferry of how many people live in one square kilometer in various locations, Sheila! We are packed in here like sardine sin a can ..lol!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is up with the grasshoppers this year? Is it a plague year or something? I am killing them left and right because they sure are making a mess of my garden.

    Beautiful photos of the gardens in Italy. You'll be able to get by well into winter viewing those.

    Oh Pat's blog is wonderful. A lovely tribute here to MFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I remember those early Alberta hard frosts - snow on my nephew's August birthday.
    Your wildlife is really wild!...makes our island deer seem pretty inconsequential.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you are living "cheek by jowl" with the wildlife. We have had two large hawks in the yard for a few days. I keep calling the cats inside. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had a good summer of growing season for your garden. Lucky you! I like your collage of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another reason to move to Vancouver!!! I have a son living there and he loves to taunt me with photos and mentions of a lunch hour spent on the beach, or a weekend there!

    I've missed some of your posts lately so I'll be going backwards to get caught up. Thank goodness for computers and photos!

    ReplyDelete