Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Blanket of White

It's official - winter's here!  A blanket of sparkling white does nothing to improve my opinion of winter. But the reality is that my boots will be my "going out of the house" footwear for the next 5 or 6 months and I will never leave the house without my toque, gloves, scarf or windshield scraper.  It's very unlikely that we will be able to open the windows to get fresh air. We'll have to bundle up each day we venture outside. After 17 years "on the farm" winter never gets better for me - just longer.  Now I understand why so many Albertans are "Snowbirds".  It only makes sense to me but with ties to the farm and an elderly parent it's not an option for us.  The only thing certain about our northern winters is that there will be a spring and if we're really lucky it will be in late April rather than mid May.  I'm already counting the months...but the sun will come up tomorrow and 9 days out of 10 it will shine on the glistening snow through the winter. Have a great week wherever you are and don't mind me.  I'm an optimist so by this time next week I will be back to normal and dreaming of an early spring.

11 comments:

  1. I hear you. And I'm nervous that it's coming this way. We're not ready for it. So much yet to do. Sigh. Glad that by tomorrow you'll be back to dreaming of an early spring or learning, yet again, to embrace winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, snow is in the forecast for the end of the week here. I think we are luckier then you as it will come and go for most of the winter. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been sunny here the last few days, but the rain and dullness is moving in. I know the winter in the north gets long (I think I've mentioned that I grew up in Prince George), but the first snowfall is always a little bit exciting. I hope the snow blues disappear by tomorrow as you've predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so far, so good here in southern Norway, but I do echo everything you have said here Sheila. We have just got through a second night of heavy frost and the temperatures have suddenly plummeted. I am not looking forward to what will inevitably follow.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first snow fall is always magical, but I'm not sure I could get through a long winter such as yours.
    I think I'd definitely be a Snowbird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila I am right there with you dear friend! Although I am trying to be philosophical about the change in temps, it always annoys me when my skin gets dry and my lips start cracking..:(
    Try to stay warm and I love your header, the colors are gorgeous!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sheila,
    I love the snow! It snowed very a light but icy sheet of snow today. The wind was blowing, so the roads were a lot worse than I had anticipated.
    Enjoy every day, we don't know what tomorrow holds.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheila I can fully understand how a long winter can make one feel sad. I know you will find lots of comforting things to keep you busy and regain your optimism soon. There is something cozy about being indoors in winter...lots of time to read and do crafts and the memories of yout trip to Italy will be fun to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelia, I admire you for living cheerfully through such long winters year after year. I know it is your way of life and thank goodness for the sunshine. Sun and snow are so beautiful but for me just for a holiday. Take Care and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photos look so pretty! But I do love being a snowbird in the winter months! There are lots of houses for sale here! heehee! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, 5-6 months winter, that's a long one. Here in California it never gets really cold. Sometimes I miss snow, that crunchy sound it makes when you step on it, and how it sparkles in the sunshine (your pictures reminded me of that). But when I think about harsh winters we had back in Ukraine, I'm glad I live in California now.

    ReplyDelete