Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmas is Coming...



Christmas on the farm isn't elegant but rather cozy and comfy and our decorations are memories of the past...our "children's" favourite Christmas books, my grandmother's Nativity scene, my sister's lovely handiwork and photos from the past. 
Here and there through the house are special things and each has a story.  We do have one small tree filled with our "children's" favourite ornaments in our family room and a cardboard village that reminds  me of one we loved when I was a child.


 Next week we will get our real Christmas tree, but for now I'm finished decorating and I'm on my way to the post office with the last of the parcels and our Christmas cards and letters to mail.  Do you write a Christmas letter?  I find it difficult some years but always seem to come up with something that tells our story in a concise way.  I keep all the letters I recieve so that next year I'm able to respond to our friends and family with the 'news" close at hand.  Hope the coming week is filled with the things that make you happy as you prepare for Christmas.  See you at Mary's Little Red House...I will try to visit your blogs this week and know I will enjoy seeing glimpses of your homes at Christmas time.

14 comments:

  1. Cosy is the word - what a lovely place to spend Christmas. You and I share a love for the things that are meaningful to our families. I know that anyone lucky enough to spend Christmas at your house will feel steeped in the best of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Sheila,
    Your Christmas decorations are lovely. So cozy and inviting indeed.
    I started decorating our home too. My toddler is so fascinated by Christmas lights! We turn on the lights on our Christmas tree in the morning. Then he cannot wait for the evening when we all go for a walk around the neighborhood to see the lights. It makes me happy to see that he enjoys this time of the year so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, your home looks just lovely all decorated for Christmas. Lovely photos and mosaics. I wish you a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been doing similar things to you but we aren't getting a big tree just a small one is fine for us small people. Love your village.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks a lot like Christmas at your house! Those special ornaments and decorations are what make the season so bright and cheerful with memories. Don't forget to show us your tree once it is up! Happy preparations now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so enjoying seeing how everyone decorates their homes at this special time of the year.
    I don't write a Christmas letter but I do send Christmas cards and usually add a sentence or two about what's gone on during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely scenes of your Christmas decorating. Yes I used to but somehow it grew into a blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cozy is the best feeling for Christmas. Decorating with things that have meaning adds layers of pleasure to the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cozy and welcoming suits this country girl far more than elegant!

    The Vancouver Christmas Market is at the plaza of the Queen Elizabeth Theatre...downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your home looks very festively decorated for Christmas, Sheila. Since I split my time between NY and Colorado my decorations have become simpler, but the ones that bring back memories always appear.

    I keep in touch with distant family and friends on facebook so I don't write a holiday letter, but I always enjoy receiving one. I send out photo cards of my grandsons so everyone can see how big they are getting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it fun to see all the old ornaments and decorations? Brings back lots of memories. I wouldn't like a formal house with fancy decorations. Cozy is the way to go!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy holidays folks as I'm just visiting different blogs. Richard from Amish Stories

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking quite festive in your home. I have not begun to decorate. Perhaps tomorrow. Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed reading your Chrsitmas memory in your comment on Pondside's blog, Sheila. I worked the night shift for years and I smiled when you described your husabnd's "strong coffee" drink to keep him awake on Christmas morn :)

    ReplyDelete