Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memories of Tuscany

Buon Giorno!  It's been almost a year since I left for 33 days in Italy.  I travelled with my daughter and we had a fabulous time in Tuscany and Rome.  
These days I've been reliving our trip - remembering every day with the help of my digital photo collection.  
When I arrived home I chose the best of my photos to make two digital scrapbooks with IPhoto: The Best of Cortona and The Best of Rome. I consciously chose to make the presentations short and sweet so as not to bore my audience. Although I showed them several times to friends and relatives and blogged a bit about our Italian trip but I haven't looked through the hundreds of photos since.  
I've been doing that recently and have decided to focus on sharing some of those photos with you for the next while.   Let me take you back with me to Tuscany today. 
Cortona is situated on the borders of Umbria and Tuscany, was founded by the Umbrians, conquered by the Etruscans, became a Roman colony in 450 AD, and then occupied by the Goths.  The history of Cortona is fascinating but I hope to show you through pictures, the beauty of Cortona.
A postcard view of our destination...

After a 200 km train trip from Rome to Camucia-Cortona we caught this little bus from the modern city of Camucia up Monte S. Egidio to the historical hill town of Cortona where we stayed for two weeks. 



-first glimpse of Cortona when leaving Camucia
-looking down on Camucia and Lake Trasimeno in the distance
                         From "Cortona city of art" by Carmelita Setteposte and Mario Belardi

Do let me know if you're interested in walking through the streets of Cortona again with me.
Have a wonderful week wherever you are and thanks for visiting my blog.
I haven't managed to keep up with blogging very well this spring but do hope to visit your blogs again on a regular basis.
Thanks for your friendship and encouragement.





11 comments:

  1. Oh I'm along for whatever you wish to share. It's funny how the closer we get to a date, the nearer the event seems in time. I'm sure that in February, your time in Italy seemed far away. Now, it must seem ever so much closer. Always wonderful photography here and I really like the effect of that first shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hi Vee - just want you to know that we're going on a virtual trip - through my pictures that were taken last year. I wonder why it's all I'm thinking about these days. I'd have been packing and making lists at this time last year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I's love to see more about your trip to Italy, Sheila! Cortona looks so interesting. I love your header shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila, I enjoyed this little tour of your trip to Italy. What beautiful countryside. I'm sure you have many fond memories of your time there. Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you continue this walk down memory lane. I'd love to visit Italy someday but for now I enjoy seeing it as you did via your photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila, I would love to see more of your wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes give us more. I love following other people's travels. It sure is a picture postcard town huddled on the side of a hill. Just like the tourist brochures show Tuscany.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so much fun to revisit a trip - I've been doing that lately, in my head. I think it's wonderful to share with us again - I'll be reading along. I love your new header of the street and rooftops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful views of Cortona, a two week stay there must have been heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sheila,
    What a treat to see photos of Cortona, what a delight it must have been to visit Italy. Your photos are beautiful and I find it very interesting.
    My older sister is visiting her kids in Italy right now. My nephew is in the US Military and he has been stationed there for several months, but is now on his way to Afghanistan. I'm very sad about that, but his wife will remain in Italy.
    Have a beautiful day!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete