At the time of the Coronation, about 6 years earlier, I was given a miniature coach pulled by eight white horses. After my children were born and we were living in the Okanagan, I received an apple box of souvenirs from my parents and the coach was something I discovered as I sorted through the contents of the box. How did they decide what to save for me?
Today I'm packing up things for our son who has recently bought a home of his own. I wonder what he'll want to see in the years to come? It's a parent's job I suppose, to sort through the odds and ends and memories of childhood that have been stored in the window seat and tucked away in the closet. Finally we have an extra room to do with as we wish. We're thinking that a library sounds like a very good idea. We're empty nesters and this time it's for good. What will the future bring? It's hard to predict but I do know that I'm going to enjoy redecorating at least one room of the house...as soon as the final bits and bobs are packaged up or donated to charity. Painting sounds like a good summer project! Next week I'll be back with more memories of last year's travels through Italy. Have a wonderful week and enjoy the sunshine!
I wrote this post a couple of hours ago and decided to check my email just now - I just received a link to a picture of a friends daughter celebrating. If you scroll down, she's the brunette dressed in the Union Jack and there are some wonderful pictures showing the British people enjoying the Jubilee. Thanks Alice! Gillian and Matty look like they're really enjoying the party!
Just click here if you'd like to see some great photos.
I wrote this post a couple of hours ago and decided to check my email just now - I just received a link to a picture of a friends daughter celebrating. If you scroll down, she's the brunette dressed in the Union Jack and there are some wonderful pictures showing the British people enjoying the Jubilee. Thanks Alice! Gillian and Matty look like they're really enjoying the party!
Just click here if you'd like to see some great photos.

I too have memories of seeing the Queen when I was a child...as she rode through our town in a parade and waved regally at all the crowds lining the sidewalks.
ReplyDeleteHave fun re-purposing that room into a library (or what have you!). It's a good stage...the empty nest one.
Oh my goodness, Sheila - I was at Fort George Park that day so long ago, and somewhere, I have a picture I took of the Queen and Princess Anne. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind offer to take photos this weekend at Athabasca. I have little twinges of regret at not being there, but so much else is happening just now that I don't dwell on it.
I've never seen the Queen, but have stood at the side of the road to see the Prince and Princess of Wales - in 1991 or 92 in Kingston - and I once met Princess Ann and had a very long and pleasant conversation. Lovely memories, all.
ReplyDeleteI glimpsed the Queen and Duke as they were driven sedately by 1990. Closest I've ever come to royalty. Good luck with the packing up. I told my kids to come and sort through what was there before I threw it all out and was amazed at some of the things they chose to keep. In the end I was glad I did it that way as my predictions were way off base.
ReplyDeleteI remember the Queen's first visit to Australia. We lined the highway to wave as she drove past.
ReplyDeleteSheila, it's good you have these photos as a reminder of the Queen's visit. I think I have some in an album when she was in Fredericton but I don't remember the year so will have to go through a lot. The older cameras sure were slow! Lots of missed shots. :) Enjoy redecorating your son's room. A library sounds nice. Blessings, Pamela
ReplyDeleteI have never seen the Queen in person but have seen Prince Charles and Lady Di at the opening of Expo 86 in Vancouver. I was standing in front of the line about 4 feet from them. All I remember after seeing them, how tall they were.
ReplyDeleteHi Sheila,
ReplyDeleteI think I was also there at the Fort George Park to see the Queen and Princess Anne. Was Prince Phillip there as well?
Great photos of the Diamond Jubilee on the link. Looks like it has been quite the celebration.
Have a beautiful day, Cindy
I was in the sixth grade, I think I'm about the same age as you are. I am pretty certain that I saw Prince Phillip at that time in Fort George Park. Several years later I saw Princess Diana and Prince Charles in Prince George. Were you there then?
ReplyDelete