Last week it was finally time to take a break from the farm. It was the first day of summer and the farmer decided it was time to go for a day trip. We took cutlery, paper plates, glasses napkins and a tablecloth along and headed to a provincial park about an hour away from home. Close to our destination we stopped to buy a roasted chicken, salads, a baguette, pistachios, grapes and the farmer's picnic favourite; chocolate milk. After picking out a picnic table on the beach which was in the shade of the trees we enjoyed a delicious picnic by the lake. The entertainment was delightful...

We watched pelicans from afar and a class of primary school students enjoying their day at the beach. Before long, it was time for a jog along the shoreline with the teacher repeating the instructions a couple of times..."No running in the water". The jogging quickly turned into walking single file and on the route back the discovery of lady bugs by the shoreline ended the walk. It was nice to be sitting on the bench watching. I remember so well those last days of June and the trips I took with my classes. I wonder if my students enjoyed those days of small adventures as much as I did? How do the teachers get through the last few days when students are so anxious for school to end and for summer holidays begin? Those were the days... Happy summer to all of you who will have children around to brighten your days!

Looks like you chose the perfect day for an outing. The blue of the sky matches the blue of the lake water. And you had built-in entertainment! The menu sounds delicious, too. Happy Summer, Sheila.
ReplyDeleteSheila it looks like a beautiful spot for a picnic. I remember the last days of school being hot and the classrooms stuffy. I couldn't wait to get outdoors and play. I don't remember any class trips at all though. I hope you have a great long weekend. Happy Canada Day! Blessings, Pamela
ReplyDeleteA lovely setting, glad the farmer took a break to enjoy the day.
ReplyDeleteGlad you took the time to take a break and at a lovely spot to do it on a nice sunny day. Yep! I remember those days fondly when we started the summer holidays as a kid.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely day out you had, so often we never take the time to enjoy simple pleasures such as these.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a wonderful summer on the farm.
I'm glad you had a chance for a wee break. You and I were on the same wave length. I walked with Anne today and we were talking about all the years we were the two mums on all the field trips - and there were many at this time of year. We laughed about shivering in the watery June sunshine at the Sidney Spit.
ReplyDeleteNothing says "celebration" like chocolate milk! Yup, true for John, too. I'd just like a diet Sierra Mist thank you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great day to get off the farm! It's not easy to get the men to take a day, is it? So glad that you did.
It was so nice to read that the farmer took a break for once and you were able to enjoy a day out like this together.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful day! Picnics are a great way to enjoy outdoors.
ReplyDeleteMy family and I try to enjoy this summer to the fullest. I take my kids out as much as possible. This morning we walked to a local former farm, which is now a park. That was a long but fun walk. And in the afternoon after kids' nap, when my husband got home from work we went to play mini golf. And there is going to be fun tomorrow - farmer's market, library, and perhaps. Summer days are so much fun!
Hi Sheila. Thanks for following Maple Leaves and Comfort Tea. I'm looking forward to following your journey, seeing your photos and maybe even meeting. Those sites look familiar!
ReplyDelete