This weekend will be the biggest of our summer in that our little hamlet is having a "Homecoming". This year will mark the 100th Celebration. The farmer and I helped organize the event which happens every five years and about 175 people will be gathering in the local community centre for a 3 day renewal of friendships and recounting of memories. The farmer's brother will be arriving tonight and other friends and family members will arrive on Friday, so today I'll be baking and preparing some meals. I still have to finish up the historical display which is comprised of 32 feet of "table paper" filled with newspaper clippings and pictures from the last 100 years. I had the privilege of working with an 85 year old retired teacher who has all the names and dates from the mid 30's onward still in her head. We will be setting up the display and helping with decorating and cleanup. It will be a busy fun weekend and I'll tell you all about it next week but in the meantime I'd like to share some of my summer flowers with you. Sunshine Always - SheilaWednesday, July 25, 2012
Homecoming
This weekend will be the biggest of our summer in that our little hamlet is having a "Homecoming". This year will mark the 100th Celebration. The farmer and I helped organize the event which happens every five years and about 175 people will be gathering in the local community centre for a 3 day renewal of friendships and recounting of memories. The farmer's brother will be arriving tonight and other friends and family members will arrive on Friday, so today I'll be baking and preparing some meals. I still have to finish up the historical display which is comprised of 32 feet of "table paper" filled with newspaper clippings and pictures from the last 100 years. I had the privilege of working with an 85 year old retired teacher who has all the names and dates from the mid 30's onward still in her head. We will be setting up the display and helping with decorating and cleanup. It will be a busy fun weekend and I'll tell you all about it next week but in the meantime I'd like to share some of my summer flowers with you. Sunshine Always - Sheila
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Sheila. Your Homecoming weekend sounds very busy but I'm sure you will all have a grand time renewing friendships and memories. Your photos of your flowers are beautiful. Enjoy your weekend. Blessings, Pamela
ReplyDeleteThese wonderful events do not just happen without some dedicated behind-the-scenes folks. I'm sure that it will be a great time for all the community. Have a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun weekend to look forward to. All your hard work will come to fruition and be very much appreciated!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the advice about paying Google for more storage. If it was just $5 once I'd do it, but they want $2.50 a month forever. I'm not prepared to commit to that.
Your new header is stunning! Enjoy the weekend.
Enjoy your weekend of fun and new memories to make.
ReplyDeleteWhile working on the historical displays this afternoon I realized we have at least 64 feet of clippings and photos - maybe more ...almost done - better get back to it...
ReplyDeleteWhat an event! I hope there'll be a blog post about it. Sixty-four feet of clippings....you'd best keep working!
ReplyDeleteNow that sounds like quite the 'homecoming'! I have several friends who are traveling to AB this summer for '100th' reunions/celebrations. I wonder if any are heading to your town?
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful way to celebrate all the family and friends in our lives, past and present. Enjoy your special homecoming event, Sheila.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great 'homecoming', what a project!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a fun and exciting even. And a lot of work too! But the time spend with family and friends would be the best reward. Have fun!
ReplyDeleteYour summer flowers are very pretty!
Sounds like you are in for an exciting weekend but also a busy one. Well done for organising the event.
ReplyDeleteSheila your weekend sounds like fun! I always enjoy your posts and your visits to my blog too. I was surprised to see the plant in the last photo. It looks like Himalayan Impatiens also known as balsam and is considered to be a noxious weed by the province as it is a prolific seeder and is taking over natural habitats. I have seen it in the ravine near my old house and in a neighbour's garden where it has happily seeded itself throughout the front yard and now on the strip opposite her driveway. I recommend a google search to see if it is indeed the same plant.
ReplyDeleteTake care!
Shirley @ The Gardening Life