Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 11th

Today Canadians remember those who gave up their lives to ensure our freedom.  At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month we remember them.

In this electronic age there is an interesting project hosted by the Ottawa Citizen that
honours those Canadians who have lost their lives while serving as active members of our Canada's Armed Forces.  Names are randomly generated and posted 11 minutes after every hour on every day of every year.  It is estimated that the list of veterans who lost their lives while serving as active members of the military will continue to be posted until the year 2025.

We Are The Dead

We Are The Dead

@WeAreTheDead

Remembering the names of Canadian Forces members killed in the line of duty, every hour at 11 minutes past the hour. Presented by the Ottawa Citizen.
Ottawa Canada · http://bit.ly/uQ2hrx
You can connect to it here.


Last year I posted about a visit my daughter and I made to the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Rome, Italy.  I will never forget how peaceful and beautiful that cemetery was.  You can read about our visit here.



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that information from the Ottawa Citizen. I wonder how many Canadians know about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Pamela, I thank you for the info. I didn't know that was being done.
    Church this morning was a service dedicated to those who served. Meaningful and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. Nice to have this way to remember those who gave their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a sobering way to honor the fallen... I thank all those who currently serve in Canada's armed forces, too. (I have a young cousin who does.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whilst driving from Caen to Falaise today we passed the Canadian and Polish cemeteries, two beautiful places where those who gave up their lives in Normandy during WWII now rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good to honor all those that served and paid the ultimate sacrifice for one's country, Sheila. May they rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sad loss of life. It is good to remember them.

    ReplyDelete