This month hasn't gone as predicted but all is well now. We had our third snowfall this weekend and it looks like it's here to stay. Harvest is finished...actually it's been 10 days of a much easier pace for the farmer but there are still things to be done. This harvest was the most difficult ever because of mechanical breakdowns on the swather and combine but finally when there was a short window of time between snowstorms - after the grain had dried somewhat- two neighbours brought their combines and other equipment to help the farmer get his crop off before winter. It was amazing to see 3 combines working until late at night racing to get the crop off but luck held out and it worked. It looks like this will be the last big harvest for the farmer. he's waiting for a hip replacement next spring and everything was so much harder for him to do this year. At this point he's reluctantly resigned himself to the fact that he needs to rent the land out so arrangements will be made and he hopes to keep active when the opportunity presents itself. Perhaps the farmer he's renting to will need someone to help....in the meantime there's plenty to be done on the farm. Grain needs to be hauled and the equipment will be serviced before being put to bed for the winter. Here's a glimpse of harvest on the farm this fall....
When the ketchup can is empty he knows the nuts and bolts are back on the combine...
The endgate is closer than the workbench - less painful steps...
Finally enough wind to dry the wet fields -combining for just a few hours...
Five days and a snowstorm later it was dry enough again but only for a day... so 4 men, 3 combines,
2 grain trucks, a grain hopper and 10 hours of combining into the night resulted in 120 acres of barley in the bin.
Big Red is filled to the brim waiting to be unloaded...
It's not like the old days now...
Since time was at a premium a new contraption augured the barley into a plastic tube which will keep the grain from spoiling until it's time to ship it to market.Harvest's almost over - thank goodness!

Sheila, I'm sorry your husband has to give up farming for now due to his hip. I'm sure he'll be glad to help out whoever takes over once he's recovered from his surgery. It is nice to see the photos of all the work it takes to get a crop in. We don't all realize the work, long hours and adverse conditions involved. I see that the prairies have a lot of snow already, especially Alberta. I guess it'll come here soon enough but I don't look forward to it. Take care. Blessings, Pamela
ReplyDeleteI am grateful for your glimpses into farm life. it is so foreign to me, but now we have a farmer in the family, though a small farm. It must be hard for your husband to think of giving up his work. I have a friend getting a new hip this very day. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThe field with the dark dramatic clouds is gorgeous and the collage of Fall foliage is lovely.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to have your neighbours and friends lend a hand and equipment to ensure your harvest came in. I love this. It reminds me of the way life used to be.
ReplyDeleteFarming is such hard work. Those of us who don't farm rarely think of the hours and effort that go into producing food. Thanks to you and your farmer. I hope you can rest a little.
It must be such a relief to have the harvest finished. I can't imagine the pressure.
ReplyDeleteI hope The Farmer doesn't have to wait long for his surgery and that recuperation is steady and fast. Perhaps you'll come this way when things settle down!
I hope you are having a rest now the harvest is over. There's always something to do though, isn't there? Heartwarming to hear how your neighbours rallied round to help out. Ours are like that, too and I'm forever grateful. I do hope things go well with your farmer and his op.
ReplyDeleteSo glad that your hubby will be saying goodbye to the pain come spring. Hopefully, he has time to rest a bit once the remaining work is done. Snow in October makes for a very long winter, doesn't it? Yay for the harvest being in!
ReplyDeleteThank you for a peep into the life of a farmer. I reckon you are the salt of the earth. What would we do without you. I can't think of a harder job. I'm glad you managed to get it all done in time. You should come to Australia for the winter and keep warm/hot.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear of all the problems you faced during harvest this season...and of the Farmer's health issues that may put an end to his farming days. Snow...already? I have trouble imagining that just yet. Take care.
ReplyDeleteGlad you got the harvest in before the weather turned. Enjoyed the pictures of the harvest. Bundle up.
ReplyDeleteGoodness me what a surprise to read that winter has set in for you already. Cold and wet has arrived here as well and even some snow in parts of Tuscany at the weekend, which hope helps make you feel a little better. I hope you and yours all stayed safe if they were in the path of hurricane sandy.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lindy but we are across the continent and we're absolutely fine except for needing to leave the house bundled up in winter clothes and boots. The storm has been just incomprehensible to watch on TV and like you my thoughts and payers are with all those who were affected by the storm.
DeleteWhat a huge undertaking. I've enjoyed seeing photos and a glimpse into your life. Stay warm! It sure turned cold here in the mountains this week! Sweet hugs!
ReplyDeleteI am happy for you to have gotten your crops harvested before snowfall! It's a lot of work, I know.
ReplyDeleteWe have a good friend who got his hip replaced a few years back and he told us the best advice he got following surgery was to get up and get moving. He's a spry older gentleman now and nothing slows him down! I hope it will be the same for your husband!
Farming takes such a tremendous amount of skill, work and luck, doesn't it Sheila? God bless that there are men like your husband that can do it all. I'm sorry he has to take a year off to get a hip replacement, but soemthing tells me he will be back the year after that as he loves his farm.
ReplyDeleteThank you for all your kind words of support for the Hurricane Sandy victims and your tips on being prepared. I have been voluteering at a temporary shelter in Brooklyn the past few days for people that lost their homes. It is wonderful to see how many people are helping and donating goods that are needed
I'm glad for you that Harvest is over, I hope your hubby isn't in too much pain until he gets his hip replacement.
ReplyDeleteHave a really wonderful week.
Hugs, Cindy
Harvesting is still continuing around us here in Normandy, no snow to hamper the farmers but lots of rain and the fields are swamp like. Makes for heavy going and very muddy lanes for us to drive along.
ReplyDeleteYour combines are so much bigger than the ones here!Looking forward to seeing some of your white stuff!
Hi Sheila! Thanks for stopping by and for the information about Picasa! I will have to check them out. I've been using Big Huge Labs, which is great, but I just want to change things up a bit.
ReplyDeleteRe: your comment on my blog, The Gardening Life: The coyotes seem to be getting rather brave of late. I hope the rifle shot did scare him away for good! Do be careful!
Hi Sheila! You have a beautiful blog! I'm here via Diane at Lavender Dreams.
ReplyDelete