Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Waiting and Watching

I have neglected blogging for more than three weeks.  It's been wonderful to be WITHOUT SNOW since then.  I hope that this will be the last time I bore you with my moans about our very long winter.

May has been such a beautiful month.  Each year I understand more why green is my favourite colour.  It's the colour of new beginnings and it makes a person like me feel alive again.  We have seen touches of yellow here and there as the dandelions push up through the grass and very soon the lilacs and iris will be blooming.

Spring is a time of new beginnings and this year it's more relaxed in one way but we're playing a waiting game as the farmer's hip replacement operation inches closer.  He knew he had to rent out the land this year and so he has time to putter with things such as our son's broken lawnmower. As I've explained before, the farmer farmed with old equipment using tried and true methods,  Our neighbour has new machinery and was finished seeding our farm in a matter of days.  This year we will sit back and watch as the canola crop grows in our back yard and though it's hard for the farmer to watch another man work his land, a decision had to be made.







We will see what the future brings but in the meantime we're enjoying sitting back and watching what's going on in our big back yard.  Twice we've seen 3 bears, several times moose have come wandering by, we love the geese who visit here each spring and all the birds that visit daily.  The farm is alive in the spring and a good place to be!  Hope that you have a wonderful week wherever you are!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos from 'down on the farm'! Not too many of us have moose, bear and geese in our back yard. Enjoy your 'slower paced' spring this year...and all the best to your farmer with his hip replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful to see that the long winter has finally gone! Wishing your husband well with the hip replacement. He's going to be a new man and, once he's healed, a pain-free one. Enjoy the lilacs and posies...my irises are about two weeks from blooming and the lilacs are waning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green is my favorite color too! For me green landscapes are one of the most beautiful things in this world.
    Lovely photos from your big backyard. How nice to have wildlife so close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be an interesting experience to watch someone else farm your land, especially with new equipment, etc. Lots of grace there on your part. I hope your husband does well with the hip surgery. I've heard they are easier than knee replacements, and may it be so for him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think anyone can enjoy spring more than someone who has come through a long Alberta winter. I wish The Farmer very good luck with the surgery and hope that he will not find it too, too hard to sit back for a bit. After all, you have such a wonderful nature show to keep you both amused!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have had a really long winter there I know and I'm so glad spring has arrived for you. Our daughter in FM is also very happy with the spring weather. They've spent their last winter in the north! I hope the Farmer has a successful surgery and recovery time. He'll no doubt feel like a new man with the new hip. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful is springtime in your region. It's late, but oh, so welcome. I'm glad you are enjoying it and hope the Farmer doesn't chafe at not working his land too much. I also hope the hip surgery goes well. Enjoy anticipating the lilacs and irises. Our lilacs are past, but the irises are standing tall in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be hard for the farmer on one hand and nice for him on the other. He is having a vacation year! I do hope his operation arrives soon and all goes well.
    How wonderful to see moose in your back yard. My hubby, the truck driver, saw a moose cross in front of him yesterday. I just pray that one never tries to do that when he is soon to be upon it. It would no doubt kill the moose and although his truck has a moose grill on it, there would be considerable damage.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps next year once he is healed and mobile, he might want to plant seeds again. Wishing him a speedy recovery from the surgery. And it is nice to take a break too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know it must be hard for your husband to sit back and rent out his farm this season, but I'm sure he'll appreciate being pain free after his hip operation is completed. Wishing him a quick and speedy recovery from that.

    The nature show in your backyard sounds must be so wonderful to observe. I am still in awe of all our wildlife visitors, although I hope never to see a bear in my backyard...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just peeking in to say that I hope summer is treating you well. You waited so long and so I imagine that you've run off on a summer breeze. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete