Sunday, June 30, 2013

Starting Fresh

Well you may have noticed that I took month off from blogging.  Things have settled down somewhat and summer is here in all it's glory.  The Farmer is officially a "Bionic Man"  after his total hip replacement which took place on June 25th.  It's truly amazing to have seen him start walking a day later and climbing stairs with crutches a day after that.  I thought I had everything organized for his recovery when we arrived home on June 28th but there have been a few glitches.


When we moved to Alberta 19 summers ago, we built a bi-level home and finished the downstairs as well.  Since there is a walk in shower downstairs and the tv (with Net Flix) and computer are downstairs as well it seemed like an ideal place for him to recover.  Coming through the garage and down to the lower level there are only 6 steps to navigate.  From downstairs to upstairs it's a total of 14 steps...no problem I thought.  Well out of curiosity I kept track of all the trips I made from the kitchen to the family room and yesterday it was a total of 32 round trips.  I have a big basket to carry food, dishes and cutlery down for meals and I've set up the coffee maker there and will continue to try to leave things  on appropriate levels.  I'm hoping  to lose some weight in the process.  We're enjoying the coolness and light downstairs and with an old table and chairs mealtimes are a highlight of the day.  Hope that you have been keeping well and enjoying the first week of summer!  I haven't taken many photos lately so this will just include a few of my favourites. Hopefully I will have a few minutes each day to catch up on what's been happening in your world.  Sunshine Always! Sheila



11 comments:

  1. Delightful to see you again, and to hear your fellow is on the mend!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3
    > < } } ( ° >
    > < 3 3 3 ( ' >

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see your blog showing up today. Love the collages and wishing your husband a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila I noticed your new header right away. It's beautiful along with the other photos and mosaics. Such gorgeous colours - just like a quilt! I'm so glad your hubby is recovering well at home. You have made a lot of changes to accommodate him comfortably downstairs, and You will no doubt lose a bit and gain some muscle tone with all those trips! Take care and enjoy the summer. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see your blog post in my reader this morning. That's a lot of steps for you - but if the heat continues, you'll enjoy the cooler area there. I'm glad your Farmer came through his surgery well, and is recovering.

    It's hot as can be in Victoria - we're soaking it up and loving it. Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been a busy girl. I hope all goes well for the Farmer's recovery. You sound like you have dealt with the stairs problem and it surely will keep you fit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot of stair-climbing! You won't need any fancy fitness machinery. I'm so glad to hear that your husband has been successfully through the surgery. I meant to wish him luck but life got on the way and the month ran away from me. He is lucky to have such a nurse as you at home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh such pretty flowers. I'm glad things are progressing along with the hip healing for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that Mr. Starshine is a new man and that you're in the process of becoming a new woman! Did he feel better instantly? I've read of folks feeling so much better despite having had surgery and feeling as if the pain levels decreased a lot. Relief!

    Other than the running for you, the situation downstairs sounds very good. Keep right on enjoying it. Perhaps a microwave and a hotplate down there would be good. =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheila, Your flowers are gorgeous! Wow, I'm amazed at them. I was thinking about you when I heard how much rain Alberta was getting, I hope it didn't affect you at all.
    I'm glad to hear that your husband is recuperating, I know what a difficult thing it is to recover from a replacement, due to going through it with my daughter three times. One was a complete knee replacement the other two were simple, well, not so simple part replacements. It takes a long time to get back on your feet one way or the other. It sounds like you have it under control though, and hopefully your farmer will be out doing what he enjoys most once again, next year.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You took a month off, I took several. Now I'm back with the new sites. To get my news, check Porch Days. Sounds like you have had your hands full with the patient. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you have your hands full. Amazing things are hip replacements. You might loose a few pounds doing all those steps.

    ReplyDelete