Monday, January 25, 2016

Our Trip to Italy

Hello again!  Although I have been "away" from blogging for a number of months, I often find myself wondering how the friends I have made through blogging are doing so I have decided to try again to participate.  I have been reluctant to face several computer issues.  One involves the way my pictures are stored on Picasa and the other involves a lack of storage on my laptop.  It's time to sort out these issues but in the meantime I will just look back to September when our family took a trip to Italy together.  I will use pictures to tell the story and there may be several posts showing the highlights of our trip.  KLM took us via Amsterdam to Rome.  Booking as soon as there was non stop service from northern Alberta resulted in amazing return fares!  It was almost two for one and since our son and daughter were both able to take holidays in September we decided to take a family vacation.  We had a great flight over, fabulous weather, great experiences and lots of fun.


After arriving in Rome at 5 pm we had a wonderful reunion with our Canadian friends at their lovely home and early the next morning we were touring the Colosseum.  We had no time for jet lag and all of us did really well. We had a guide who made history come alive in a 3 hour tour of the Colosseum and the areas nearby.  






















 Our friend has a degree in Archeology and used to be a tour guide at Ostia Antica so on the second day she guided us through the ancient seaport of Rome which was where as many as 100,000 people once lived. The ruins are well preserved and date back to the 3rd century BC.








The site is massive and just about a third of the ruins have been dug up. The cost of maintaining the site as it is now is has limited the government from further excavations and they are being left for future generations to discover and maintain. Next stop... Tuscany. See you before too long.  
Sunshine Always, Sheila

I am linking to Judith's Mosaic Monday at http://www.lavendercottagegardening.com/

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful images! Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful trip and so nice you could do it as a family. There is so much history in that part of the world to learn about and see so I will look forward to new posts on your trip. Have a great week.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great family trip! So glad that you were able to take it and also glad that you returned to share it with us. (I wondered where you were off to again. Thought you might be traveling.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheila,

    It's so nice your children could join you for this amazing trip. Your photos are wonderful and do tell the story. I look forward to hearing and seeing more. I hope you figure out your computer issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wonderful photos of Rome brought back memories to me of my two trips there over the years, Shelia. My husband and I are overdo for another trip to Italy, especially as he has many relatives living there, that he keeps in touch with. Once our grandchild care taking is less intense we will surely go.
    Thank you very much for all your encouragement to me while I was going through eye surgeries.I really appreciated your comments and support. Thankfully I am healing well and seeing more than I ever dreamed I would!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat to see the pictures of your Italy trip....love Italy! Especially all the history, and the food....oh the food and gelato!

    Donna@GardensEyeView
    and LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all - welcome back!!!! (says the blogger who has been back just over a week!) Well...I missed you, so the welcome is sincere!
    What a wonderful family holiday you must have had. I look forward to more words and pictures. It is many years since I was in Italy. I'd like to go back (without a baby on my back or in the stroller in front of me!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was wonderful to see a post from you pop up in my reader, along with the recent comments. How great to visit Rome with your children. The ruins are amazing - it's a place I'd love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful holiday for your family Sheila, I've heard Rome is a nice place to visit and your photos show this.
    I hope your photo/computer problems get sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sheila
    Oh I loved reading this post on your trip to Italy.
    I've been to Rome twice and the last time was in 2009.
    We stayed in a hotel opposite the Colosseum and of course we spent several hours there. I wish we had a guide, even though I've studied Roman history I agree it would have been a better experience with a local.
    We missed the seaport - your photos are wonderful!
    Italy has such history, I would love to go back one day and stay for a month or more, if I win lotto I'll do just that!
    Thank you for your visits to my blog - with working I'm behind in my visiting!
    Lovely to catch up at long last!
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is very impressive….
    _______________________________
    Most Beautiful Visiting Places In Australia

    ReplyDelete