Tuesday, August 3, 2010

15 Minutes From Home





Although we live on a farm, it is just 15 minutes from a small town with 3 stoplights, 2 grocery stores and 2 hardware stores. You get the picture...most of what you need you can find and there are some wonderful things about our town but it's pretty small. There is an exception though. We have a university at the top of the hill...

"Athabasca University serves more than 38,000 students annually, offering more than 700 courses in 90 undergraduate and graduate programs. Students from across Canada, and 84 countries around the world, take AU programs and courses in arts, science and professional disciplines.

More than 74% of Athabasca University graduates are the first in their families to earn a university degree." John O'Brien - Athabasca News

Athabasca University provides great opportunities to distance students who are in circumstances or small communities from around the world which might otherwise prevent them from completing their University degrees. One of my husband's cousins decided to pursue an interest in history in her senior years and proudly received her degree a number of years ago. You can find out more about Athabasca University here.

http://www2.athabascau.ca/index.php

The idea for this post came from Maggie at Normandy Life who wrote about her visit to a castle 5 minutes from home. That might interest you more. Wherever you are enjoy your day and thanks for coming on my 15 minute expedition from home. While my husband and I were at AU yesterday we discovered something amazing and it was discovered just 5 minutes from home. I'll keep you in suspense til next time because it's time for a cup of coffee on our farm this morning.



7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful town Sheila and it was really interesting to read about the University. I never finished getting my degree and maybe someday I should check into the programs they offer.
    It was great visiting and I look forward to getting to know you better through blogging!
    Have a super day...
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know what's around the corner do you?
    Thanks for the blog plug, I'm just glad to be of service!
    I'll be back tomorrow to see what else you found.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morinville is such a small town but I prefer it to the big city. I love St.Albert but whoa it is very expensive there. I have to admit the quieter it is the more I like it...:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be wonderful to have a good university so closeby to you home. I'm sure they must have a lot of interesting programs and events that you can participate in. Whe my husband retires we hope to audit soem classes at nearby universities just to keep our minds sharp as possible ;)
    Looking forward to seeing your surprise!


    PS:
    Sheila you are very kind! There must have been easily a hundred professional camera people taking hundreds of photos, plus tens of thousands in the stands! We were just happy to be lucky enough to see his home run in person. My husband saw Micky Mantle's #500 home run many years ago so this brought back happy memories to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been playing catch-up on your wonderful blogs Sheila, and what a joy they are. You give a very vivid picture of a small town with a University on its doorstep; usually one imagines Universities sitting within or alongside major towns. Your photographs are marvellous, and indeed, tell a story of their own when looking at peoples backs. Some relaxed, some tensed - who knows what goes on in peoples lives when they are strangers...the camera captures it all. Lovely blog! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place. I like the idea of a university being in a small town. That's where students are not distracted by big city night life and can concentrate on studying instead ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an Athabasca student! I'm in my last year (which will probably take 3 semesters) of a French degree. I love the freedom of taking courses at home when I can and the support offered is wonderful!
    Maybe I'll stop by for a visit when I come to graduate!

    ReplyDelete