
The farmer and I made an amazing discovery while walking along a trail near Athabasca University (15 minutes from home). We discovered this fossil which was fascinating in and of itself. The sphere is perhaps 5 feet across and it has broken sections which have been randomly placed on top of the main half sphere.
Evidence of an Ancient Sea
"This sandstone bedrock was found about 15 km south of Athabasca on the farm of Bertram and Blanche Watson. It contains fossilized clams and snails that lived 100 to 166 million years ago during the Upper Cretaceous Period. Over the years the movement of water formed this bedrock into a sphere, now broken in half."
The farm it was found on is just about a mile from our farm, and the Watsons were good family friends. If they found this just down the road, it follows that our farmland might contain some of these sandstone fossils as well. I suppose the next time the farmer is going to pick rocks for the afternoon I might now be convinced to help him!

Look back to my last post to find what's just 15 minutes from home.
Hi Sheila - somehow I missed your last post - didn't get my usual notice.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it a wonderful think to find a fossil? One feels like an explorer/anthropologist/scientist/archeologist! I wondered where, in Alberta, you are located and now I can picture it. We once lived in Cold Lake, and you just about described it, and Grand Centre, perfectly!
Have fun rock picking with your (delighted) farmer!
What an interesting and unusual discovery. I remember I was fascinated by rocks and fossils when I was a teenager.
ReplyDeleteI should check out your previous post.
Have a nice weekend!
One of the many reminders of how short our journeys here in this world really are. What a wonderful find!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with finding such a surprise when you and the farmer go looking next.
Isn't life amazing Sheila? One just never knows what they are walking on a few feet under them. You have got me thinking today of all the wonders around me that I haven't noticed yet...
ReplyDeleteTina xo
That is quite a suprise to learn you may be living above a Ancient Sea. Trish
ReplyDeleteJust a few rocks!
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love history and all we can learn from it. Love seeing these "finds".
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend......:-) Hugs
So many times we overlook or don't even register what is just 5 minutes away from home. I'm glad my Chateau blog prompted you to tell us about the Ancient Sea, and o.k.yes, you win! It's way older than my Chateau!LOL!
ReplyDeleteMaggie
I just had to stop by and see what "five minutes from home" was all about. What an amazing find. I'm wondering what waits for me five minutes from home.
ReplyDeleteBest,
Bonnie
What an fascinating discovery this must have been! I hope you do find some ancient fossils on your land. Can you imagine owning something that could be millions of years old?
ReplyDeleteDo we every really know what's beneath our gardens/farms? Fascinating!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete