![]() |
| Swathing, Barley, Combining and Unloading |
| The last afternoon of harvest |
| Auguring barley onto the grain truck |
| Off to fill another hopper |
| The last few rounds and we're done for 2010! The crop's in the bin... Now to fulfill our contracts to the grain company and wait for the call, hire the B Train truck to haul the wheat and barley 130 kilometers (or 80 miles) to the elevator and then the farmer gets his paycheque. Often when he deducts the costs of inputs such as seed, fertilizer, fuel, machinery repairs and trucking costs it makes him think that it's sure good he loves the lifestyle and carrying on the tradition of farming the land his grandfather and father cleared. You've likely heard this before... "HOW MANY LOAVES IN A BUSHEL OF WHEAT? There are about 150 cups (8oz.) of grain in a 60 pound bushel of wheat (1 bushel = 0.352 hectolitres in volume, 1 hectolitre = 3381.4 US fluid oz.). When converted to flour these 150 cups of kernels produce about 300 cups of flour. About 3 cups of flour are required to produce a single 1.5 pound loaf of bread. Therefore 1 bushel of flour produces about 100 loaves of bread each weighing 1.5 pounds (24 oz.) Or, in other words, a bushel of grain berries (kernels) produces about 150 pounds of bread." If you're interested in making a loaf of no knead bread, you might try this recipe. It's highly recommended. Smitten Kitchen Farmers really do feed the world. These days the farmer is paid on average $7.00 (or about 7 cents a loaf) for a bushel of wheat and its been said that the grain is passed seven times before it reaches it's destination. The truckers, grain companies, railway, bakers and grocers all make some profit on the loaf of bread you buy at the store. Thank goodness for the farmers! The Farmer's wife has done her duties: helping move vehicles and equipment from one field to another, helping move augers from one grainery to another, staying in constant radio contact for safety, making meals taking lunch to the field, baking cookies, loaves, squares and pies for Thanksgiving, having supper on the stove and waiting for the farmer and our son to come home hungry and tired, and making sure the dishes are done by 10 at night. I'm packed and ready to head to the big city this weekend for some R&R with our daughter. We need some "girl time"! But first I have to stop at the grain elevator to drop off some samples of grain. It's always nice to see the big city lights and maybe we'll even do a little shopping.. I'll be linking this to Mary's Little Red House for Monday Mosaic. |


Have a wonderful time, Sheila - it sounds like you REALLY deserve it!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post, Sheila - and a good reminder to those of us who use the flour to make bread for our families, that someone has worked long and hard in order for it to appear in our kitchens.
ReplyDeleteYou deserve a break - enjoy the big city!
A good render of how hard farmers work for so little.You sure deserve a break. Enjoy your girl weekend.
ReplyDeleteSo happy you have finished harvesting and before the weather turned cooler....it is suppose to warm up again next week. If you have a chance to meet for coffee I would love it. If not I understand as I know how much you are looking forward to visiting your daughter. E-mail me if you want me to send my phone number okay. Drive safe........:-) Hugs
ReplyDeleteFarm families work hard. You deserve a break! Enjoy the city and your daughter.
ReplyDeleteNancy
cool bread fact! harvest is going on around here...we don't farm but pass sugar beet trucks all the time!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment about my links not working. I'm hoping it was just a hiccough at the time because when I and my husband tried i was working okay. let me know if i still happens.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post! People take for granted where their food comes from and how much work is put into it! That's a lotta work and a lotta grain!
ReplyDeleteHiya,
ReplyDeleteYou don't grow buckwheat by any chance, do you?
I am a celiac and want to try it on a small, very very small scale. Just wonder if it is hard to do.
Like the way your mosaic represents your farming background.
Congraulations on a successful harvest Sheila! I admire the hard work oan dedication it takes to be a farmer and I always give thanks for them. I hope you have a wonderful time with your daughter!
ReplyDeleteHi Sheila, it was so nice meeting you today (still upset for forgetting my camera) I hope you had a good drive home and all went well. Take care and I look forward to visiting you again the next time you are in the city.....:-) Hugs
ReplyDeleteSo glad your harvest is done for the year...I know a little of what that feels like. And I can also identify with heading for the city when it is all done!
ReplyDeleteMy hubby will enjoy popping over to see your photos of the harvest. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for dropping over to my place...Last night I was having coffee with a young couple and they opened the windows and I could still hear the harvest machines purring away in the distance..
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing like farming.
Have a wonderful day in the city...I hope you have a few coins left to spend.