Monday, November 1, 2010

Birds of a Feather

For the past few days I enjoyed my daughter's company once again.  She'd surprised me by buying tickets to the Opera.  I've been to many operettas, musicals and plays but had never seen an opera so she though it was high time I did.  She has seen two in Europe and several others.  We dressed for the occasion as did most of the audience.  Our 1st balcony seats were wonderful and the sets and cast and music all very impressive.  It will be a night to remember.
   Home on the farm a goose hunt was in the works and memories of time spent in the blind with his grandfather and father, sights of huge flocks of Canada geese and mallards landing in the field across the road spurred the farmer to set up the decoys and ask for permission to hunt in a neighbour's field.  The planning was done by the farmer and our son and the hunt was successful.  Oh the stories I heard as I walked up the stairs - even before I had taken my jacket off...
   The plans are in place to have a Remembrance Day goose dinner and to invite the farmer's uncle, cousin and brother.  I'll bake some pies for dessert but will give the farmer my apron.  It's another experience I've not had and as the tales are told and memories relived I'll be thinking of my night at the opera.  As they say, "Birds of a feather flock together".  In this case it was all in the timing.
I'm linking this post to the fine collection of interesting mosaics at Mary's dear Little Red House.

12 comments:

  1. such a beautifully written post!!
    Too bad there was not a photo of you and the daughter "dressed for the opera"..
    The header is so inviting..
    love it all..
    photos please of the goose dinner!!
    warm sandy hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to go to the Opera. I have never been. Enjoy!!!
    I went goose hunting in Eastern Washington on my eldest daughters' husband's folks ranch. Whew that's a mouthful. I was just an observer.

    The Princess Lines--I remember some many years ago going to Victoria with my MIL on the Princess Marguerite. What a grand time I had.

    My sis lives in Kelowna B.C. now but lived many years in Lethbridge Alberta.

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. The opera sounds like a lovely evening.

    Your mosaic is beautiful!

    Pat@Back Porch Musings

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post will encourage lots of smiles, I know! Your timing was, indeed, perfect! Opera sounds 100 times more fun than sitting in a blind on a cold fall day! I look forward to reading all about your goose dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a juxtaposition of topics! Very intriguing and the sunset photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a widely varied world we live in - one member of the family can enjoy high culture and dressing up while another hunkers in the cold enjoying nature. We are so blessed in this land of ours.

    I hope you're still hearing the music in your heart and mind, Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you have many 'memerable' moments.
    I've never been to an opera, but i have a freind in Washington state who brings them alive for me each time she goes.
    Your sunset photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheila I love opera! I have been attending it for over 30 years. La Boheme is among my favorites. The music transports me into a different realm.

    It's nice when the men have their special activity and the women can enjoy theirs on the same day! Then everyone is happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lovely and memorable evening! And even nicer to spend it with your daughter!

    Beautiful mosaic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sheila. So nice to hear from you again. How nice to spend time with your daughter and what fun to go to an opera! Happy memories. I enjoy my daughter's company very much, we always have fun when we get together (my son too). Interesting about the goose hunt. Thank you so much for your fun and interesting stories! See you soon. Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by, yes my photo was taken on the Emerald Isle. I love your mosaic, the colors are so pretty. Take care and enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you chose the better 'day excursion' of the two But it sounds like a good time was had by all!

    Nice mosaic.

    ReplyDelete