These November days on the farm are always bleak due to the lack of colour. The autumn leaves have disappeared long ago and we're in sort of a holding pattern - not quite believing that everything isn't white yet. A few days ago I walked around my husband's childhood farm and took some pictures of some of the old buildings that are still standing. The barn is about 70 years old and not used for much now except storage. There's an old playhouse, an outhouse and a garage that holds many items but is on such a tilt that it has not held a car for about 20 years. The original family home which includes an addition to the right of the door was replaced by a new family home in the early 60's but the old house is still there. One wonders why so many buildings are abandoned on old farms but I suppose there was always a possibility they might be needed for one purpose or another. How long will they still stand? Only time will tell.
I'm linking this to Mary's Little Red House Mosaic Monday.

Hi Sheila, The barn and outbuildings still look wonderful after the passage of time. Love the mosaic. Take care and I hope you have a great week.
ReplyDeleteI used to love to see the old buildings on the farms around Smoky Lake when we lived in that part of Alberta. You must be right about keeping the old buildings - a hired hand or a married son or daughter might need a place for a while and they could just move into the little old place.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful images.
I love those old buildings which tell the history of a place. And farmers always find a purpose for them, don't they?
ReplyDeleteThe old buildings tell stories. It would be hard to tear down a house in which so much life was lived - tears, laughter, children...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're preserving the memories in photos.
I love old barns.....:-)Hugs
ReplyDeleteIt always makes me sad when I see a farm house being demolished or left to rot away. It is a wonderful idea to document these old buildings before they are gone.
ReplyDeleteLovely images. The buildings still have a lot of character and make beautiful shots! Memories, memories! thanks for sharing your walk.
ReplyDeleteOh, I love to see those old weathered structures -- so much texture and character! Thanks for sharing at MM, Sheila! :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos Sheila. When we lived in Edmonton thirty years ago, we used to explore the old farms that were left abandoned. You certainly captured the feeling and sparked some memories. :)
ReplyDeleteHi, Sheila!
ReplyDeleteI love these photos of the farm buildings. I grew up on a farm, and we had a lot of buildings that were used for storage. All of them are gone now, including our home which burned about forty years after we sold it. My playhouse was carted off by someone else, and it fell into rack and ruin. I spent many happy hours there. I'm glad to see the buildings still standing on your husband's farm. They are neat!
XO,
Sheila from Florida :-)
Hi Sheila
ReplyDeleteIt was fascinating to look at these old structures and imagine when they were being used. I've often wondered why buildings are left abandoned, but it also happens here in the city where property is so rare and valuable.
I would be tempted to peak inside at your buildings, but not the ones here! :)
They have a value if nothing but to remind us of the past....I like seeing some old building. Trish
ReplyDeletePictures of the Prairies and old farm houses bring back memories for sure! It was nice to stop by and meet you today.
ReplyDelete