Sunday, January 9, 2011

Our Spruce Trees

Today on my short afternoon walk I captured the trees we planted the spring after we built our home in 1994.  So these trees are almost 15 years old.  I ordered about 175 seedlings from the government nursery that's about one and a half hours southwest of here.  I decided it would be a good field trip for the kids to go on and so we called the school bus driver and told him not to stop that morning.  I needed a map and we enjoyed the drive through the country.  We picked up the seedlings and were sure to separate the White Spruce from the Blue Spruce.  We were also offered two Jack Pines.  The next day Grandpa came over to plow up soil for the Blue Spruce in two rows along the road and then the White Spruce were planted in four rows to the east.  We hooked garden hoses together to water the seedlings through the summer and the next spring the seedlings were about the same size as the tulips I'd planted between the rows.  We didn't water the trees after that and despite some very dry years most have flourished.  Now, a lot of the Blue Spruce are easily 20 feet tall.  On these gray January days everything looks the same but on a sunny day it's easy to tell that despite our care in planting somehow we got mixed up and there are a few White Spruce mixed in with the Blue Spruce Trees.  They seem to get along just fine!

I don't have the "January Blues" yet, but these snow covered trees are what we'll be seeing for the next few months - unless the sun shines.  We had a lot of snow and wind this weekend and more is expected.  No surprises though - we do live in Alberta. There was a province wide warning to stay off the highways this weekend so I imagine we weren't the only family making snowstorm soup.  Ours was delicious and we also made home made pizza.  I'm linking this to Mary's Little Red House - her mosaic is blue today too!

17 comments:

  1. The trees are beautiful in their winter coats of white. It must be immensely satisfying to have planted so many and for them to be doing so well. What a memory you created for your children, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous story about your trees. They look lovely with their snowcoats on. Take care and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these trees, what a beautiful memory you made that summer with your children. It is bitterly cold here Sheila and it looks as though we received more snow than what is in your pictures....my car is still burried.....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious, what's snowstorm soup? Is it like stone soup?
    What beautiful trees you planted. That took faith - hoping they would grow tall as they have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful trees, Sheila. Blue Spruce has to be one of the prettiest anywhere.
    Stay warm and safe at home until the storms pass and the roads are clear. As I write the CTV news is on and the headline is your weather.
    I know you'll smile when I tell you that the other day the Victoria radio stations were all giving a rainfall warning.
    Only in Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful photos and I loved the story to go with them. Beautiful, special trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful trees you have and so much snow. I really like your story about your trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful trees Sheila and how wonderful to look at them and remember when you first planted them. Trees add so much to our world and they certainly added a wonderful view to your property!
    Have a great evening...
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sheila,

    I'm sorry you weren't able to comment - I hope it was just in the past day or two. I did change my comment form to be like yours - embedded below the post. But now I've changed it back to the pop-up box.
    I know that when I was using Firefox I couldn't post on any embedded comment boxes either. That's the main reason I switched to Google Chrome.
    Let me know if it works now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheila it must be nice to know all those beautiful spruce trees are there because you family planted and nurtured them! Stay safe and warm. It seems to be a very cold and snowy winter all over this year but maybe that is a correction for all the unusually warm winters we've been having. Hopefully the polar bear number will rise again as they will have more ice to sit on to hunt for seals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi again, Sheila - I would have responded by email but I've lost your!
    Thank you so much to you and to your sister for the information on SD. I'll print it off and take it with me - it will be very good to have such suggestions - that's exactly what I was hoping to find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful trees and what a legacy to leave behind for many years to come.
    Great mosaics too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure you will enjoy the operas you are going to see this Spring, Sheila. That was such a thoughtful gift from your daughter. When I attend an opera the music, acting, singing, etc, transports me into a different realm and I feel all life's stresses fall away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful trees. I don't have cabin fever yet so can still enjoy the beauty of the snow. Going out and taking pictures really helps.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great story Sheila! I am watching the weather coverage of your your area. I remember the winter blues when we lived in Alberta. The sunshine certainly helps us through the winter. Just think the daylight hours will start getting longer. Spring is just around the corner! :)

    ReplyDelete