I'd like to introduce you to our family's church.
St Andrew's Cathedral in Victoria BC is a Heritage site. It's where I sat in the third floor choir loft as a toddler while my father sang in the choir. I still remember the size of the pipe organ. It's where we attended church for the 21 years I lived in Victoria and it's the church
that my great grandfather was the original contractor for.
AEneas McDonald (spelled differently in these photos of newspaper articles), had an inheritance from France and with that to back him, was awarded the contract to build St Andrew's. He brought marble columns from Ottawa, Ontario and they were erected at the sides of the church doors but at some point his partner ran away with the rest of their funds and he lost the contract. My great grandfather, shown here with his youngest daughter and my father, was a skilled carpenter and worked for many years to help complete the cathedral. My grandmother remembered climbing up seven flights of stairs into the spire to take her father his lunch. My grandmother's aunt was hired as an organist.
In my mosaic below, the top left and bottom right photos were taken by my grandfather. The others are from the BC Archives which is a fascinating place to look for historical pictures of British Columbia.
St Andrew's is a church filled with memories for my family and we are proud to say that our great grandfather had a hand in building such a wonderful cathedral.
All my pictures and collages can be enlarged by clicking once.

Hope you're enjoying a wonderful Easter weekend! I'd like to thank Olga for teaching me how to dye eggs in a lovely way. I had been thinking of using onion skins but was so pleased that Olga shared her method of imprinting parsley leaves on her Easter Eggs. I used celery leaves and I think it would work well with any small leaf or flower. I only tried a few eggs so I just used the skins from 4 or 5 purple onions. I had hard boiled my eggs first so the lighter one was just dipped in the onion water for a minute or so. The darker eggs were boiled in the onion skin water after I had boiled the skins and let the water cool. Stop by to see Olga at her Home and Garden Blog to read her full instructions if you have time today. You'll be glad you did!


What a nice piece of history. Be sure to pass all the information to your children. It is amazing how family history can be lost.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing pictures of your little people.
Nancy
That is so interesting! What a great memory of your family!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic history. I'll think of you and this story when I drive by the church on visits to Victoria.
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter, Sheila.
How fascinating and how wonderful for you and your family to be so connected to Victoria, a beautiful city indeed.
ReplyDeleteSo you're a MacDonald too? Small world!
Happy Easter, my dear.
Maggie.
A fascinating post about a little of your family history, love the old photo. Happy Easter.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful and special family memory, thanks so much for sharing it and I do hope you and yours have a joyous and blessed Easter Sheila!
ReplyDeleteTina xo
Victoria is a beautiful city and that is a beautiful cathedral. Life is so wonderful. Little did I know when I visited there back in 2002 that I would some day be in contact with someone with such close connection to that church. Treasure that family history!
ReplyDeleteThanks for a wonderful Easter post. Happy Easter to you and yours!
What an incredible story...a truly fascinating bit of history. What a scamp your great-grandfather's partner was. There're always so many layers to every story. You have a rich heritage here and it looks as if it is all nicely documented for your family. St. Andrews is a beautiful church.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful church and how lovely it is to be such a part of your history.....it must give you a humble yet proud feeling and to be able to claim this wonderful piece of history is a real blessing. Happy Easter dear friend....:-)Hugs
ReplyDeleteThose eggs are beautiful. My mother in law used onion skins to colour eggs. I must go over to Olga and check out the recipe. The story about your family's connection to that beautiful church was fascinating. You can call it "your church" and really mean it.
ReplyDeleteMost interesting...your connection to that historic and lovely old church.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful eggs! I'm off to see how Olga does it. I'm too late for this year. Hope I remember for next!
St. Andrews is a beautiful church! You have such a wonderful heritage and memories of it to treasure always. I cannot imagine having to climb so many flights of stairs to deliver lunch as your great grand mother did!
ReplyDeleteI will definitely visit Olga's blog to see how she dyes eggs. We used food coloring with my grandson this year but I'd like to try some more unusual dyes next year when I do them for myself.
Where about is it in Victoria? I will be going at the end of May for a visit. Great reading the history of it. We had a quiet weekend and busy packing for our move happening this Friday.Thanks for visiting my blog. :-))
ReplyDeleteThat was so interesting, Sheila! I am smiling as I see another link between us.....the MacDonald link!
ReplyDelete