Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Streets of Cortona

Thanks to all of you who welcomed me back from Italy.  I still am catching up at home on the farm and so haven't been able to spend much time on the computer.  It rained for most of the time I was away and it's still raining almost every day so my perennial beds are in need of care.  I have been outside every time the sun shines trying to catch up with weeding the garden and picking the rhubarb.  But I do want to share some of my pictures with you today...


 

When you stay in a little place like the hill town of Cortona, you eventually know where to walk and how to walk but at first it was very challenging for me.  My daughter had booked a little apartment for us to stay in for two weeks but was surprised it was not located just part way down the hill where she had stayed with friends 5 years ago.

We enjoyed our little apartment at the base of Via Guelfa.  Piazza  della Repubblica, which leads onto Via Nazionale, the only level street in Cortona,  was located 390 walking steps up the hill. 


Needless to say, my first walks uphill were interrupted with several separate "moments" to catch my breath and surprisingly the walk down hill seemed even harder.

We met the travel agent, a friend of my daughter's, who said, "Watch the old people. They zig-zag like they're skiing as they walk downhill."   I can honestly say that on our second last day I actually made it up to the piazza without stopping once and I really felt proud of that accomplishment.

Because I've always loved photography and because I finally had a digital camera to take to Europe, I have zillions of photos.  I've decided to do a theme each weekend so today I'll show you some of the picturesque streets of Cortona.  Next week I'll show you the Piazzas.  Hope you enjoy this walk!











I'm linking to Mary's Dear Little Red House.  Perhaps you'll feel like stopping by to visit.  All the pictures can be enlarged with a click.  Thanks again for your comments and I hope to be visiting your blogs very soon.  Sunshine Always - Sheila






18 comments:

  1. Sheila, Cortona looks wonderful. Have you ever seen the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun? It's like seeing it again. Incredible views you had and the night scene is incredible. Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Shirley, "Under the Tuscan Sun" was set in Cortona and we saw it just before my daughter left for her semester in Cortona in 2004. It was great to see where she would be living. Although we didn't walk to Bramasole I took a picture of it from the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved sightseeing in Cortona with you today Sheila, the architecture is wonderful and your night time shot truly breathtaking.
    Looking forward to seeing the Piazza shots soon.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, Sheila. I've missed your posts. What lovely photos you've shared. Thank you for taking us along on a little tour of Cortona. I love the shot with the wedding party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, Sheila! I did enlarge some of the photos and the scenery is amazing. I chuckled at the gal's comment about zigzagging elders. They'd have to watch out for me because I'd be rolling down that hill. I'm sure you developed your lung power and leg muscles making those climbs up and down. Take it easy with the catching-up now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a time you must have had. Staying in an apartment is the best way to go. I enjoyed all your photos and enlarged every one of them!...especially liked the wedding shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home. What a delightful trip you had!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cortona looks like a wonderful place to visit...I love the architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely corner of the world. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been, you pictures are taking me there. Stunning pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those streets look so wonderful but steep. I am sure your calf muscles are in great shape now. So historic and picturesque. Lovely. V

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pictures, looks like a fantastic time in Cortona!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Sheila,
    Thank you for taking us on a walk around Cortona. What a lovely town. I love all the pictures! And I am looking forward to more pictures and stories from Italy.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be zig zagging down the hill with you! I've so looked forward to all of your photos! This is an area I dream of visiting! And it would be great to be able to stay a couple of weeks or more! Cortona is beautiful! *ciao*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cortona looks very picturesque. I know exactly how you felt, Sheila, as my husband's hometown in Calabria is also a "hill town, "as many ancient Italian towns are, as the feudal Lord's "castello" was always built on the top of the hill for protection. My husband's family lived in the newer area at the bottom of the hill, but his elderly aunts lived near the top. I would huff and puff behind 80+ year old women up the hill as they causally strolled home. I can see why they live so long, God bless them.
    I enjoyed your photos and look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back to blog land Shelia. I am so happy to learn that your Italian adventure was a success. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your photos today, although it seemed strange reading about Italy on your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh what a great trip to take!! and the thought of renting a little apartment in Italy sounds so romantic! I was in Venice last spring only for one jam packed day !! Would love to go back to Italy for sure!! Welcome home and hope you get caught up with all your yard work. Will look forward to more pics from you :) My son is off to Sweden on Thurs....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Shelia, thanks for sharing your lovely pictures. It looks like such a different way to live. I would like to pack my toothbrush and go and try new ways of living. Maybe we bloggers could open our homes to each other and we could visit all parts of our country and others. Nancy

    ReplyDelete