In Italy the train system is efficient and reasonable. One day we took a trip to Assisi and like many other Italian tourists, we enjoyed wandering through the picturesque streets. 

The windows there were filled with delightful things to look at. As you can tell I was fascinated by the wonderfully displayed pastries and breads. They were beautifully wrapped and given names unique to Assisi. (Click to enlarge the pictures and collages.)
Here are a few pictures of the places we passed by on our walk from the top of the town to the magnificent Basilica Di San Francesco.
We arrived at the Bascilica Di Santa Chiara only to find that the massive front doors were very tightly closed. We weren't the only ones locked out of church.
Finally, we arrived at the Basilica of St Francis, which is situated on the lowest slope of Mount Subasio.The basilica complex is made up of a convent and 2 churches built one above the other in 1228 - 1230 and in 1228 to 1253 respectively. Seeing Giotto's frescos depicting the life of St Francis, the magnificent stained glass windows by Giovanni di Bonino and Puccio Capanna and the tomb of St Francis were the highlights of of our trip to Assisi.
I'm linking to to Mary's Little Red House today for Mosaic Monday. It's always an interesting place to visit.
I will NEVER get tired of seeing the photos! I will go back and look at them ALL again and again! Thank you so much for sharing! Someday I hope to visit...but until then...I'll enjoy your wonderful photos! ♥
ReplyDeleteYour tours of Italy have been wonderful, thanks for sharing them.
ReplyDeleteTired of Tuscany? Never! Bring on the photos and stories!
ReplyDeleteI love the first photos, of the stairs and the walls with the flower pots. So beautiful!
How could we tire of your Italian travels :)
ReplyDeleteKeep the Italy photos coming - I'm not tired of them at all. All the walking, through town, up hill and down, would make one of those pastries entirely guilt-free!
ReplyDeleteTired of Tuscany? I could not tire of going there in my imagination! Everything is so picturesque, so beautiful and so OLD! I would love to travel there! I am loving your photos.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Cindy
It's the closest I have ever been to Italy...so I gladly travel with you! Looking forward to Florence and Rome.
ReplyDeleteOh, those pastries and breads surely make wonderful displays. I love all these pictures from Assisi. The basilica is such an interesting and picturesque place.
ReplyDeleteAnd no, I'm not tired at all. I'm looking forward to learn about your adventures in Florence and Rome.
Me again, thankyou for calling by and taking the time to comment on the Our Garden in August post.
ReplyDeleteYes the abundance of produce can be overwhelming at times I agree.
What a wonderful trip! I would love to visit there one day ! Super photos and thanks for sharing with us all. If you ever come out to Vancouver Island, give me a call. Thanks for always checking in on my blogs! Take care, Michelle.
ReplyDeleteHello Sheila
ReplyDeleteI have really enjoyed your little tour. Am I right in thinking that the basilica was damaged by an earthquake a few years ago? I really want to see your trip to Florence, so, I've signed-up as your newest follower.
Anna
It sounds like such a lovely holiday. Your photos are almost - almost - as good as being there :-). I really enjoyed browsing through your blog and I will be back often. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary
ReplyDeleteAll your photos bring back such wonderful memories to me, Sheila, so I can never tire of reading more and seeing more of your trip!
ReplyDelete