What did the settlers of the prairie do on days like this - when the wind is whistling and the cold is so cold that it makes one want to stay inside with a cozy book and a cup of tea? I suppose they would have been baking bread, stirring soup and knitting warm socks. Cooking and eating are our hobbies these days. We made clam chowder in the crockpot and baked cornmeal muffins to go along with the soup for dinner last night but today my scale added a pound and a half to my after the holidays weight...
I'd better not dust off the bread maker and start baking as I had thought I might this morning . The few pictures that were taken through my windows this frosty week were lacking in colour so I enhanced them and would like to share them with you now. Keep warm wherever you are!


Very nice! Funny, I was thinking of making cornbread tonight to go with the soup too! Scales and Christmas are never a good combination! Back to salads for me.
ReplyDeleteWhat vibrant colors! I always love to bake when it's cold...and eat bread! heehee! Stay warm! ♥
ReplyDeleteSuch vibrant colors in the second photo with the inset. I love baking too.
ReplyDeleteLove your enhanced picture. Did you layer them all together?
ReplyDeleteThats the trouble with cold weather you just want to cook and eat. I guess the settlers had lots of manual work to do to keep them thin. They didn't have computers to entertain them indoors either. Love your pics.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful images! So calm and serene!
ReplyDeleteIf the world outside is winter white and icy grey, why not enhance it as you've done? It's gorgeous! I hope that your cold snap doesn't last for weeks. The blue Alberta sky makes up for some of the cold, but it can only do so much to lift spirits! It sounds like it might be time for a visit to Victoria - we know our snow will be gone next week......
ReplyDeleteThe chowder and cornbread sound delicious even at the expense of a couple of extra pounds!
ReplyDeleteInteresting effect you created with the collage, very artistic!
Stay warm.
I think we are genetically programmed to cook and eat in freezing weather - to ensure survival! Well, that is my thinking, or excuse. Thin and cold do not spell cosy to me at all. And the cooking heats up the kitchen.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your photos! Very clever enhancement!
Sounds like it's a cozy place over at your house!
ReplyDeleteThat is a great photo! I love all the color that you have added. I read a series of books about prairie life back in the 1800's and yes, they cooked and read by lamplight and repaired saddles, clothing and boots also. I'm sure preparing food took up a large chunk of their time, though.
ReplyDeleteHave a beautiful day! Tomorrow our temps will go back to seasonal norms, I heard on CBC radio. It was -26 when I got up, but it should be more like -13 tomorrow.
I don't mind the cold, because I don't have to go out in it much.
Hugs, Cindy
Sheila, reading your post takes me right back to the Nebraska prairie and reading that book No Time on My Hands. I know. If only we could give in to the baking as we so would enjoy on such days. If we're to wear our bikinis in summer, though, that just won't be a possibility. LOL!
ReplyDeleteThat last photo is i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e.
What stunning colours! And I like the frost enhancement - almost like a filter. How did you superimpose the one photo on top of the other? It's very effective.
ReplyDeleteI remember my grandmother telling me that when she was first married she and my grandfather homesteaded in northern Saskatchewan. They lived in a sod shanty to begin with. Winters were just surviving to stay warm and fed. I'm so glad for modern conveniences.
Stay cozy. I hope it soon warms up for you. It's around 0 here today, with rain predicted for the weekend.
The view is outstandin' through your windows sweetie!
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed and beautiful week! :o)
Woohoo...I'm gonna.......
The temperatures there sound so cold, Sheila. My Mother grew up in a house without central heat in the mountains of Pennsylvania. All they had were fireplaces and a cast iron stove. She said they had to warm bricks to wrap up and bring into their beds to sleep with during the night to stay warm for awhile. When they awoke they had to crack the ice in a bowl in the morning to wash their face. We have so many modern comforts and distractions to be thankful for these days.
ReplyDeleteWow, the pictures and colors are gorgeous!!!!
ReplyDeleteSheila,
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos. It has chilly in Florida and I have been making soup and bread. I love the way the house smells with soup and bread underway. It is nice to hunker down with a good book or a project.
I like your quilting projects in the last post. As soon as I finish these knitting projects I will get back to the sewing machine.
Carol