Every year at this time we hope to get the crop in before it freezes and to harvest the garden before we have to start dragging old blankets out to cover things when there's a risk of frost. It hasn't happened yet - but could any day now. This year we had no grasshoppers munching up the garden but there are bigger creatures around. Just this morning I saw a big cow moose steps away from the garden but by the time I got my camera she had moved away a little farther. I'll keep the camera closer to our east window with it's garden view from now on and not venture outside without a good look around first. Our corn will be terrific this year if we get a week or so of hot summer days and although the squash have been just sitting there, they have exploded in size in the past few days. It would be wonderful to have another month of hot weather and I, for one, hope it stays warm until at least Thanksgiving.
Canola in bloom
Summer views
I love perennials!
Swathing the canola is about to begin. The farmer will need help moving equipment from field to field and he appreciates substantial meals as harvest progresses. It's generally quiet here on the farm but thanks to visits this year from good friends and family we had a very busy and enjoyable summer. Hope that you did too!



Let us pray that you get what you need for a wonderful crop...warm weather and the time to bring it in. Life is so busy on a farm in harvest season. Your summer sounds so pleasant...your flowers and yard so lush and fine. That moose better not eat too much! We are enjoying the most perfect of days just now...highs to 80F with low humidity and cool nights.
ReplyDeleteHaving lived in Cold Lake, I remember that it can snow every month (it did when we lived there, except for the month of July). I hope you get some more warm days and that you don't have to be running out with blankets and newspaper to cover your plants against the frost. I loved your photos - such beautiful colour.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have the prolonged, warm autumn you wish for, Sheila. Summer is so very short there. What wonderful colour you have in your garden. And that cow moose took me back to the early days of our marriage when I accompanied Tim on a hunt once or twice and caught a glimpse of such a cow moose when they were not in season.
ReplyDeleteHope autumn lasts for you and allows the crops to mature for harvesting. Beautiful views of the farm and the moose is a treat. Take care.
ReplyDeleteHow fun to see a huge moose in your field! You must be a lot farther north than we are, the farmers corn is being harvested right now and our own tomatoes are prime for picking.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your week!
Hugs, Cindy
I, for one, am not looking forward to cooler temperatures. I have been enjoying the hot weather as it is such a short season here. I love your shots in this post.
ReplyDeleteYour views are beautiful! I've only seen a moose twice in my life ..they always amaze me as they are so large!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure harvest time is a busy time on a farm, Sheila, and you have been a big help to your husband. I'm sure you savor summer days even more when you know fall/winter is so long. But I also know you like to snuggle up with books, hobbies and projects during those months.
Thank you for your moving tips...I have a lot of work ahead of me but I'm seeing progress. After clearing out my Mother's house I realized I have been saving too much myself, so I'm finding it easier to part with things. Memories remain just the same without the "stuff" :)
Lovely collages Shelia, like you I cannot bare the idea that summer days are drawing to an end and I am living in a part of the world where we get longer ones than you do.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your comment on my blog and for becoming a follower. I loved reading this post about your farm life, something that I know is challenging but to me it sounds like a wonderful life. I've always been a city or suburb girl, yearning to live in the country!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you also are continuing to blog. And I too have had trouble this summer making the rounds to visit my favorite blogs. I don't know if it's how busy I was or if sometimes we get "blog fatigue" and need a rest, which is OK. I guess as long as creative juices flow and we come up with a post, it's a sign to keep blogging. I enjoy the community of bloggers that I belong to by default and enjoy learning what they are thinking and experiencing.