Monday, September 3, 2012

Back to School


Every year on Labour Day I experience a touch of nostalgia. I remember looking forward to the beginning of each school year.  I started teaching in Vancouver, BC with a Grade 4/5 split class.  Today I had a great time sorting through my two remaining boxes of Kindergarten and Primary resources.  I have sorted and deleted several times over the years, but I've always been looking for a teacher who could make use of my really good teaching things.  When I switched to Kindergarten for the last couple of years of my career, I had a friend who was very artistic and offered to make me an alphabet.  It's an original in that she designed and illustrated it herself.  
So imagine my delight when I spoke to a friend a couple of days ago and her future daughter in law is going to teach Kindergarten this year.  I know her well and have no doubt that the children in her class will be most fortunate to have this young woman as their teacher.  My two boxes will be going to a beginning Kindergarten teacher and my one of a kind alphabet will be going back to school.  Best of luck to all the teachers and students who are going back to school tomorrow! Have a great year!

9 comments:

  1. How wonderful to know that your well-curated supplies are going back to school. They will be an immense help to that new teacher.

    I always feel like September 1 is more New Year-ish than January 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes there is a fresh newness to early September I think. New starts. Sharp pencils and new notebooks, etc. So nice you could pass your school things on to another teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to know your resources are going to be put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you could connect with someone that can make good use of those resources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to offer this new teacher some great resources. That is a sweet alphabet.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gift of supplies and teaching modules will be very welcomed by this new teacher, Sheila! My daughter-in-law taught kindergarten for three years before deciding to be a stay at home Mom. When she taught she put in long hours behind the scene setting up her classroom and planning the day's lessons. I think many people don't realize how hard a dedicated teacher works!

    The one of a kind alphabet is lovely and I'm sure the children will enjoy looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that your very special teaching aids will once again be used to inspire young minds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made that young teacher's day I am sure. It must have been like Christmas for her. I remember doing something very similar...looking for just the right one. I found her. She doesn't teach just now as she is raising two sets of twins. I wonder what she did with it all...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the old photos. It must feel good to be able to give your resources to someone who will be able to use them. Most of mine went in the bin as many of them were a bit old and out of date. I took my books to school and left them for anyone who wanted them.

    ReplyDelete