September has really been an amazing month - lots of sunshine and lovely warm days - harvest is continuing after a series of breakdowns on the swather. The farmer is servicing the combine and with any luck harvest will continue as it should...tomorrow. The autumn leaves are as pretty as they can be and we haven't had enough wind to shake them loose. Our wall is not black - maybe the flash painted it - or maybe I'd turned the flash off.
The other day I took a series of pictures looking through our windows and thought about using them for a post. The following morning I missed an amazing opportunity because as I walked out to the kitchen to put the coffee on I couldn't believe my eyes - there was a massive bull moose just 8 or 10 feet from our deck. Of course I turned around - walking quickly down the hall because I knew my camera was beside the computer. Seconds later it was turned on, the flash was off and I was ready to capture the moose and the moment - but the moose had disappeared. Anyone who has seen a moose cross a field knows how fast they can travel.
From now on I'll be leaving my camera handy for early morning wildlife sightings. It was a missed opportunity and in hindsight I wish I'd just stood still and watched the ghost moose disappear.
Just picture this - our deck is about 8 feet above the ground and the moose was behind that skinny elm tree - his nose came to about the 4th rail over and his rump almost touched the corner of the rails behind the lounger...Got the picture? Have a good weekend!

Almost! I take it he was huge. I'm sorry that you missed both opportunities, but what's a gal to do? Wear a camera about her neck every moment? What a sweet view from your deck. All those ever-changing fields. All the best with harvest and I hope that the machinery stays up and running.
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful views from your windows! I hope the moose will come to visit you again.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful views from your windows. Isn't this weather just amazing? Summer lingers and lingers.
ReplyDeleteYour story of a ghost moose reminds me of a misty early morning when I went hunting with Tim many years ago. We crossed a boggy area and there, not far away, was a cow moose. She picked her way through the bog and looked so beautiful in the mist. I was glad it was not cow season! That's a sight Tim and I remember well - so ethereal, if you can imagine a moose as ethereal!
Oh, and yes, I did quilt the strips to the batting as I stitched them together. Then I added a plain (print) backing, and machine quilted wavy lines vertically across the strips. I just sort of made it up as I went.
ReplyDeleteOhmygosh he was a big moose. You have a virtual picture, just for you. Hope for a lovely weekend comes your way.
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame, the camera is never where you need it be in situations like these! Whenever I decide not to take mine along on the Sunday dog walk you can be sure that's the day there'll be something amusing or special to capture!
ReplyDeleteLove the idea of a series of "window" shots.
Your banner shot is splendid, enjoyed viewing your world through your home windows. You live in a beautiful place and surroundings.
ReplyDeleteSheila, I love the way a window frames a picture. Such a beautiful view into your home and farm and deck! And yes you painted a wonderful word picture of that great moose. I am always conflicted between capturing a moment on camera, and missing some of it, or just enjoying the moment,
ReplyDeleteHope the rest of your harvest goes well. Hope that moose comes back to give you another chance at a picture.
ReplyDeleteWow he was huge! Good to hear the harvest is progressing, your part of the world is looking lovely.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of taking photos from each window! You have some amazing views...very different from mine! But I have missed some of those photos over the years, too. You have a chance he'll run back through! Happy Fall!
ReplyDeleteToo bad you missed capturing the bull moose for all to see, maybe next time. I know they are massive creatures. Whenever I've been driving and I've seen one I've kept my distance, I know they can destroy a vehicle in one swift movement.
ReplyDeleteYour fall photos are lovely, hopefully the farmer was able to continue the next day after breaking down. The fields look so beautiful!
Have a good weekend.
Hugs, Cindy