This month has been quiet so I've been quilting. I've found myself thinking about how thankful I am that I've always loved making things for friends and family for Christmas. My grandmother taught me to embroider when I was 8 or 9. My mom taught me to sew on her Singer Featherweight when I was 12 and that was such a gift. Mom showed me to use a pattern and later a friend who was taking a home economics class taught me how to make tailor tacks-what an important lesson that was. We gave each other sewing kits that year and I had mine for years and years. At the age of 12 my grandmother let me choose fabric and a pattern for an Easter dress. The next person to encourage me was my tiny Irish godmother. She usually had a seamstress make her clothes but trusted me with a length of pink mohair fabric and I sewed a suit that made her seem as elegant as Jaqueline Kennedy. She paid me for my work. Imagine trusting a fourteen year old with mohair!
 |
| my high school graduation dress |
 |
| worn in Hawaii |
 |
| a dress for my daughter |
 |
| "Mom - I'd like a pink lace dress..." so she wore it for her grandparent's Golden Anniversary |
There was a period of time in high school where my sister and our friends all wanted white duck squall jackets so I worked hard to complete their orders. I started going to dances and in those days brocade and crepe were the fabrics of choice. I sewed graduation dresses and several ball gowns for my sister and myself. As the years passed I always enjoyed making many of my clothes, including bridesmaid dresses and my own wedding dress. I took a course on making stretch t shirts and made several for the farmer and my father. When our son and daughter were young children I enjoyed sewing for them. I made nighties, overalls, dresses, short sets, Hallowe'en costumes, dance costumes and doll clothes. Quilts were made for each new niece, nephew and for my friends babies. Pillows, curtains, placemats, table runners, Christmas ornaments and carry alls were favourite gifts to sew. I've enjoyed sewing for over 50 years and I guess you could say that some of my favourite things are my sewing machine, fabric, needles and thread. My lifelong hobby is just the thing to keep me occupied through this cold month of November - what are you doing to keep busy this month?
Sheila, what a wonderful post. Like you, I've been sewing for a very long time. Other crafts come and go, but I always return to sewing. Do you still have those garments you've shown us?
ReplyDeleteI've been called in to sub a fair bit recently, but this week looks empty so I am sewing - for myself, for Christmas, for gifts. Wish we could get together and stitch.
Yes Lorrie I do - I've saved some of the clothes I made because I liked the fabric and my daughter has worn many of the dresses I made back in the 70's. She loves the retro look!
DeleteSheila,
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I was never encouraged to sew. My home economics experience was a disaster. However, I persevered and I love sewing now.
I want to thank you for all your visits and comments this past summer.
You are a wonderful seamstress.
Carol
Wow! You sound just like my older sister who sewed everything--even suits for her husband and left me behind in the dust. My mom made me take a sewing class in summer school as I had no choice but to make my own clothes--well dresses especially. So I did but it's never been a love of mine. Cross stitch and knitting/crocheting are more of a passion. It sounds like you are having a cozy month getting so much sewing done. Most of all you are home, and I don't think there is any better place to be!
ReplyDeleteSheila, you are so fortunate to have so many loved ones in your life that taught you how to sew so beautifully! Did you pass your skills on to your daughter? My Mom did not sew, and neither did my grandmothers. I wish my school had offered home economics as I think I would have enjoyed sewing. I did teach myself how to do embroidery and crewel work. Now I want to learn how to crochet and hope to find a class or a group to do so when I move.
ReplyDeleteYou are indeed an experienced seamstress! Amazing. I don't sew and never really liked it. I learned to sew in grade 7 Home Economics class and tried a bit after I got married but never had the patience for it. I admire someone who sews beautifully or knits or does other handwork. It takes a lot of patience and skill.
ReplyDeleteHow fun...to see all your beautiful projects from throughout the years.
ReplyDeleteI always say that sewing is my hobby as well...though I rarely seem to find the time to sew these days. I can't say I'm a great seamstress...I just like making things!
I am attempting to repair a very old vintage crazy quilt a great aunt made over over years ago. It is falling apart and I treasure it dearly. I use it to cover me while watching tv. It is made from scraps of woven blankets. I need to use various fabrics to mend it again so I can keep using it.
ReplyDeleteWow, your sewing is beautiful, and a great hobby during the cold winter days.
ReplyDeleteYou are a beautiful seamstress. I envy anyone who can follow a pattern and create a dress or an item of clothing. I don't even try anymore. Your graduation dress is simply beautiful. Mine, as I recall, was white polyester made by my mother. Have fun getting everything accomplished before you head off to visit the family!
ReplyDeleteI will probably stay busy crocheting or perhaps knitting.
Wow. You are so clever and started young too. My mum could sew like that and I used to put my orders in. I tried to copy her flair and interest but apart from baby clothes and curtains I didn't do much more.
ReplyDeleteI will be walking and photographing this month as well as attending Christmas parties of groups that I belong to.
How wonderful to be such a talented seamstress, Sheila. I can hardly sew on a button! The dresses in your post are wonderful and the list of "makes" made my head spin.
ReplyDeleteNow that the shorter, darker days are here I spend my free time scrapbooking up in my attic craft room.
Certainly not sewing my friend as I hate it, probably because I cannot sew at all. Your header photos are lovely and you are obviously a talented lady when it comes to needlework.
ReplyDeleteSheila, I really enjoyed this post. The dresses are very pretty. I especially like your graduation dress; it looks so elegant. Unfortunately, I cannot sew, but I'd love to learn.
ReplyDeleteWow, Sheila, I'm really impressed! Sewing beautifully at the age of 14 is really an amazing achievement. I hope you've been able to teach other girls to sew also.
ReplyDeleteIt is a wonderful skill to know.
Hugs, cindy
What a gift indeed! I recall being at home too sick to go to school (mumps or something) and mom dug out some fabric scraps and a needle and thread and I fashioned a purse out of it. I was so proud of it and wanted to wear it everywhere. If only I had kept it up.
ReplyDelete