Friday, February 8, 2013

Quilting Again

Through our long winter especially on the days when the sun shines, I enjoy quilting and I thought that since today is sunny and bright I would share some of the projects I've completed since I last took my turn at "Show and Tell".
 A table runner for my sister...
 A lap quilt for a friend ....
 A little girl's quilt...
A lap quilt for my sister closest in age...

A 90th birthday quilt...

 I also belong to a local quilting group of volunteers who get together for four days in a row once a month to make quilts for Victim's Services, women's shelters and other people from our area.
Quilters of all ages get together to make and donate quilts and each of us has a favourite thing to do.  Some ladies are interested in cutting and piecing, others love sewing, one or two do the sandwiching process of clamping and pinning the quilt tops, batting and backing.  A group of elderly women called "The Golden Girls" come to socialize with other elderly ladies while they tie the quilts together.  There's a pot luck lunch one day and even on the other days there's somehow lunch for all to share.  
I'm grateful for the opportunity to be part of such a dedicated group of caring and dedicated women.

I've been busy organizing, sorting and trying to make sense of all the pieces of our life that have accumulated over the last years.  Winter is a perfect time to do just that.  I hope to get the chance to visit  your blogs in the next few days.  Sunshine Always!

11 comments:

  1. You do such lovely work, Sheila. You've certainly accomplished a LOT, too. I especially like that first tablerunner.
    Good for you for using your talents to help others.
    Have a sunny weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful, Sheila. What is that first table runner made from? It looks almost like ties. Very charming! Glad that you're keeping well and busy. Winter is a good time to evaluate all that accumulation, but quilting is more fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thought of all the love sewn into the quilts that you and the other ladies make during those days together.
    Your quilting projects are beautiful. I can just imagine how happy a little girl would be to receive the pretty girlish quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty quilts Sheila. Belonging to a guild or group is a great way to get to know other women. I used to belong to a Ladies Morning Out group but I stopped doing handwork and then stopped the group too. We had a great time and always tea and a snack. Enjoy the weekend. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those quilts are beautiful. I have no idea how you do that but it sounds like a lot of work. You are doing a wonderful thing volunteering your time and talents to help others. A nice way to spend winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila,
    Your quilts are just lovely. I have switched to knitting for a while but I am sure the fabric will call me back. Even though it is sunny and warm here, there is something about this time of year that suggests reorganization and reflection.

    Have a great weekend.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have accomplished a lot of quilts, all very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do beautiful work, I love seeing what you've accomplished. How wonderful to be part of such a dedicated group of women. It must be so fun to hear all of the wonderful stories that they have to tell.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sheila, all your quilts are very pretty. That's the art I would like to try my hand at one day too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do beautiful quilt work, Sheila! I love the cheery yellow lap quilt you mad for a friend and the table runner.
    Winter is a good time to snuggle up by a fire and work on projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that blue table runner, Shelia. You have really been busy! Nancy

    ReplyDelete