Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Passage of Time

These past few months I've been working occasionally on an ongoing project.  For the past 40 years I've been keeping track of time and some years I've kept a journal.  Many times my sisters have given me journals or calendars for gifts.
 They are all shapes and sizes. I have saved these calendars and journals and although I always start out with great enthusiasm sometimes whole chunks of time are left blank.
  It's always a mystery to me as to why I didn't jot a few notes about certain events that have happened.  Sometimes they appear just on the calendar and sometimes in a journal.
 So this year I've been going through my life notes and trying to write down the important events.  I want to know when we went on trips and where we were living and what the important events of the year were.  I hope to incorporate these somewhere, individual sheets in each photo album or maybe in one binder...for the record.
 I'm just wondering...have you kept calendars and journals over the years?
 Is it important to you to know when a certain thing happened or are you happy to think back and remember that you enjoyed a wonderful trip to a fascinating place when the children were small.?
Are you happy to remember special family celebrations in your mind or do you have written memories to pass along to future generations?  Do you have any suggestions?  I'd be happy to hear them!

13 comments:

  1. Calendars that serve as tickler files can sure provide a lot of information. I do keep them for a long while and then toss them out in great batches when I question why I'm keeping them. My blog has taken over for my journal with the exception of what I have planted in my flower garden from year to year. I do keep a gardening journal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep a journal, although the frequency has lessened now that I blog. I really should do a blog backup, now that I think about it.
    Old calenders are great ways to remember things - I keep them for awhile, too.

    I referred back to my old journals before Christmas, quoting parts of them, and using them for chronology in a book I compiled for my husband.

    That's a big project for you Sheila, but well worth while. I'm all for writing things down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have calendars with notes...a few decades of skimpy journals...photo albums with some documentations...and lots of memories of events that went unrecorded. In the rceent years...I have a blog. What a good idea to put all of 'your time' in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes and yes!!! I had a calendar in the kitchen and everything went on it from the weather each day to appointments to important events etc. I saved them for years and finally threw them away. Now I feel badly. :( I also kept a journal off and on. Mostly off. My recent one ended sometime last year and I didn't even record when my sister was home for the first time in 25 years as we were too busy running the roads! I guess my blog is a partial journal and so are my photos. I think saving your important events in one spot is a great idea and quite a daunting task too. Have fun reminiscing as you write. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see my favorite Holly Hobby there among your journals. I have yet to go back to read my journals which I kept on and off ... I have all my great aunts and hers were daily but just what she did each day. Short and to the point and no "feeling" stuff. But I also depend on photos for when this or that happened. I am now going back through old slides and my cousin is kindly helping me with the scanning. And today's digital are pretty cool as they even keep the time the photo was taken as well as the date.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have kept a journal for years. I started when I was in my 20s....which is a LONG time! lol Now I keep my journal in a day planner that has loose leaf pages. Now I file my pages in a binder every month. I write some every day of my life and keep an expense summary, too. I love writing things down and it's fun to read things after time passes. It always amazes us at the crazy mixed up things that were happening all at once. We don't remember it that way! lol I'll see if I've posted my journal on my blog....if you are interested! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you kept your Hollie Hobbit calendars. Loved her style. I really like your new banner pic up top. I gotten rid of my earlier ones from many years ago. Since I moved so many times, didn't want to lug them everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shelia! Here's a link to the post about my journal. Just scroll down to the end of the post...it's the black leather day planner. You can see the pages and how much I write each day. When we go on a trip or have something exciting happen, I write more! lol Sweet hugs!
    http://lavenderdreamstoo.blogspot.com/2012/09/summer-smashing.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kept a diary when I was a teenager but after that age I didn't journal again until I took up blogging. I did take many photos through out my life which are a pictorial journal of sorts. I would like to make a project of writing down all our genealogical history and stories for my grandchildren one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've kept journals once in a while, and calendars full of notes, always. I wish I'd been a better diarist, but like the others, the blog has taken on some of that for me. I kept a diary as a child and its main claim to fame was that it was 'research' for one of my sister's books. Yikes!
    I'm back from Edmonton now - what a difference a 90 minute flight makes. I'm going to have to leave a set of cold weather clothes there for fall and spring visits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like writing journals too, but I don't always stick to it. I have three main journals. One I started about eleven years ago when I came to America. I started writing it to practice English writing skills, but now I only write in it once in a while. It's fun to go back and read things I wrote many years ago. I also have a journal for each of my sons. I started them when each of them was born and I try to write somewhat often. All those little things and developments - first tooth, first word, first birthday, etc. I think when my children are grown up, those journals will make fascinating reading for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm afraid I have not done well at keeping notes about happenings in life. I have kept it all in my mind and photos, of course. Photos are a good way to keep a "journal" of sorts.
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a topic after my own heart. I have kept photo albums for most years from when I was 15 when I was given one Christmas. Then later I improved on the albums with scrapbooking, not over the top stuff just added brochures and tickets etc. Now I have gonr to digital photo books but I miss not adding extra bits so I keep a journal when I'm on a trip and add stuff to that. My daughter has a good idea she makes a digital journal where she writes , sketches and adds photos. Next trip I might try to incorporate the journal into the photobook. My old albums started falling to bits so I have started puting the old photos into a new album but I am adding the story I write on my blog in "My Story" series of posts. I also hope to publish the posts about "My Story" into a book then I will have the album for one daughter and the digital book for the other. Now that's the plan but will it ever get done.

    ReplyDelete