Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Patience is a virtue...

Watching and waiting is always hard - especially at this time of year.  We've been waiting for the snow to melt since it fell in mid October and just over a week ago our almost snow free land was blanketed again by another few inches of snow.  
On Sunday a friend emailed me and summed it up this way..."From boots to flip-flops in less than a week".  Actually I heard this afternoon that our area was the hotspot of North America.  Apparently, yesterday at 29'C we were hotter than Miami, Arizona, Las Vegas and LA.    
Today is cooler and we noticed that the roads are edged with a minute ribbon of green grass and there is a sprinkling of new blades of green grass poking through the brown lawns.  It won't be long before we see the green leaves on trees.  
Our geese are back and are nesting in the pond across the way.  The frogs have been croaking all night long. Deer are happily munching spilled over grain in the fields and we can leave the windows open through the night.  Spring is wonderful isn't it?





I went out to lunch with good friends yesterday and we chatted about the possibility of planting peas this early and discussed when we hang flowering baskets and plant our bedding plants.  If you want to be on the safe side you wait until the 6th of June to hang baskets when all danger of overnight frost is over. Bedding plants aren't put in pots or the ground until May 21st. I brought home a flat of pansies from the city and yesterday I stopped at both places that set up temporary greenhouses but there was nothing for sale just yet.  I think in past years the bedding plants have been available before the Mother's Day weekend.  I'm very impatient though and will take a chance and fill up my porch and deck pots with spring flowers.   My perennials will pop out out of the ground in due course...but I just can't wait!
Happy Mother's Day to all of you!  If you're like me you'll be happily digging in the dirt. 

11 comments:

  1. Oh yes - digging in the dirt is what I've done for the past two weekends, and a perfect Mothers' Day weekend will include a little more of just that!
    I have heard from our son in Edmonton that the weather has changed drastically - 'welcome to Alberta' I told him 'where winter ends on Friday, spring arrives on Saturday and summer on Monday'!
    I don't blame you for being anxious - you are ready for some colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful spring images! Spring is only arriving to your place, but it's already summer at mine. It's so wonderful to have blogging friends around the world and see what is going on in other parts of the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ocober to May Boy oh boy that is a long winter. No wonder you are overjoyed when Spring finally arrives. We have just started wearing sweaters in the early morning and night but the days are still warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how things are so different around the country. For instance, we don't plant until April 15th. Usually there's no frost after that, but this has been a very cool (delightfully) spring. It's nice to see spring again from your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see spring coming finally to your area - the long wait is always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get a long slow spring here and you get a more accelerated version where you are. It is a great time of year to get out and play in the dirt. Happy Mothers Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad spring is making it's way there now. It's been really nasty for you on the prairies. When I see annuals for sale at the big box stores I think it's too early to plant and I will be patient and wait. It's only going to be 8 on Saturday after temperatures in the 20's for 10 days. We need to be patient. :) But, it's so hard when we crave the pretty flowers isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see spring finally arrived for you and have a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mother's Day to you, Spring is a wonderful time, I LOVE it! It was a LONG winter, so glad our snow has been gone two weeks now.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sheila!

    My husband and I planted flowers yesterday -- he took the day off work to finally buy a lawn mower and cut the grass. We never had to do that before as we never had a lawn in NYC. I planted marigolds and geraniums in my front yard and bought perennial flowers for the back yard which I will plant this weekend. We could still get snow here, as I heard it has snowed as late as June, but I hope not! I, like you, could not wait any longer to plant something. :) I hope you had a very happy Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to know that spring is arriving. She's playing games here. In one day, gone the next. I've decided not to waste money on annuals this year as it doesn't look as is there'll be much outdoor time if the past weeks are any indication. I'll enjoy the perennials that seem to be thrilled with the refrigeration. Have fun digging!

    ReplyDelete