Tuesday, January 14, 2014

January Blues

Winter woes, plans for the year, organizational projects, sorting and deleting, getting around to all the things that need to be done inside the house...every day there are things to be accomplished but each January the list just sort of revolves.
It's really time to accomplish so many indoor projects but when the days are grey and cold and the snow blows sideways for most of the day, it's often easier to just continue reading under a cozy blanket with a cup of hot chocolate to enjoy.



This winter is particularly trying.  Yesterday, with the intention of going to the farmyard to clear the snow off the canvas boathouse and the tarp on the grain truck, we bundled up and set out.  First we had to shovel a knee high path to get to both places and then when the snow was too frozen a step or too was cut into the snow. Both jobs were done in less than an hour an a half but the next project is to clear some of the snow from the old machine shed so it doesn't collapse.  That will be a huge job even with the roof rakes.  The north side of our garage needs to be done as well but the snow will fall on the driveway and then that snow will have to be shovelled. These are just temporary measures because our winter has barely begun but every little bit helps.  At least it was nice to breathe the fresh air and though it was just a few degrees below zero it felt like a spring day.  The sun was shining and made all the difference !




9 comments:

  1. Your notecards do make you think "cold" and winter--they are beautiful, and they are blue like mine! Your winter chores do sound amazing. I only remember one winter up north when we had to shovel the roofs. I didn't know there was a roof rake but that might be helpful, especially if one is tall! Stay safe -- a good book and a blanket sound good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lot of work in the winter to keep ahead of the snow and ice. Very nice photos of the snowy scenes. We're still having a January thaw here so the weather's been pretty nice here and there. The mild temperatures and melting snow are a really nice break from the cold and snowstorms. Take care out there Sheila. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. A book and hot chocolate under a cozy blanket sounds the best place to be in cold grey weather. Sounds like a lot of work moving snow. I wish I could send you some of our heat, humidity and sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brr- below zero? Wow- you must be used to that kind of chill! I was complaining about 17 and that's from the comfort of my warm house too, not outside shoveling snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine having cabin fever in the dead of winter. Looks beautiful through your images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new header photo. All that shoveling sounds like too much work. Every time we get much snow, a few days later it rains and washes it all away. Okay with me. It means I didn't have to shovel or snow blow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little bit of sunshine does make all the difference. Even here, where the temperatures are so mild, grey days make me just want to crawl under a blanket and read a book. Today, however, there's some sunshine and I'm heading outdoors for a walk after lunch.
    Your landscape is beautiful in spite of the cold. All the snow is really something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right - it's just the beginning. I remember one year in Cold Lake when front end loaders were brought in to take some of the snow off our front yard, as it had completely obscured the living room window and front door. I am NOT nostalgic for those days! I smiled, after leaving a comment on your last post, to see the first line on this post. Stay cosy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sun does make a difference--and also no wind. We are fortunate that the skies are usually bright blue here all winter. It makes me feel happier than I felt with the usual grey winter skies of New York. Be careful with all that snow!

    ReplyDelete