Friday, March 14, 2014

Possibilities

"March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb"
Let's hope so!
I started a post on March 1st and this is the first time I've returned to finish it…

"Here on the farm the sky is so bright you almost need sunglasses in the house. 
It was -40 this morning and with the windchill, -45C. 
Every once in awhile the house complains and we hear a loud crack.  Today's a day for chicken soup simmering on the stove and the farmer is baking his famous brownies…just for the smell of them he says. Even the smell does a little bit to ease our cabin fever. "


The possibility of more snow is not over and winter white fields still surround us but things are oh so different now.
It's possible to open a window during the day and breathe fresh air, I am sitting here at the computer in bare feet, the furnace is quieter through the night so it's easier to sleep and patches of dead grass can be seen surrounded by snow.
A little snow melts every day that the temperature goes above zero but since the ground has been frozen solid for 4 months there is nowhere for the water to go so little frozen lakes are forming around the house.
Yesterday I was able to wear shoes instead of boots for the first time.
The streets and sidewalks of our little town are snow and ice free but it's still tricky after parking to walk across bumpy ice that was not cleared from the sides of the streets.
But this is a month of possibilities with a week of smiles and sunshine coming up for us.  Hope you are having a wonderful week wherever you are and remember to keep smiling! I have no idea what pictures I will use to illustrate this post…I deleted most of my "snow" pictures and have been very uninspired to take many pictures these past few months.  Please be patient.  I have a feeling my next post will be far more interesting.




8 comments:

  1. Loved reading this; I could feel the cold brrr!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are beautiful Sheila and I'm glad it doesn't look as snowy there now with the milder temperatures. When we were in Calgary last month I only wore my down parka 3 days - 2 of them were the days we flew in and out and one to Lake Louise. It was wonderful to wear just a fleece jacket. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning images of a very cold winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila,
    I seem to go in cycles with my posts. Internet issues in the summer take the joy out of it for me. Your snow pictures are beautiful but I can feel the cold. Don't think I could do snow anymore. Hope it warms up for you very soon!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. A month of possibilities. What a good way to look at the capricious nature of March, or spring in general.
    I hope the temperatures continue to climb slowly but surely, with little falling back. The snow is beautiful, but easily wears out its welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you say a month of possibilities and a week of smiles and sunshine. We still have a touch of winter and here in the middle of the month the high winds have come. I'm just thankful it is not hot right now like it was last year at this time. The weather has not been boring for us this year as it's been so mixed but maybe for you with so much snow it has! Spring is on it's way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first day of Spring is fast approaching,Sheila! The weather will eventually change as the sun shines longer and lower.Almost everything stays dormant here until at least early May, as the night time temperatures will remain low at our altitude. That is a blessing when the summer heat comes!

    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. By now the fields must be greening up, and I am a little worried as I catch up after my own absence, to find that you too have been absent. I hope that all is well - just wanted you to know you're missed.

    ReplyDelete