Each time I return to Victoria, a trip to Beacon Hill Park is a must. It's a park that has so many memories and for over 150 years, generations of our family have wandered through and marveled at it's beauty.
This view of the stone bridge in Beacon Hill Park in Victoria BC is a special memory for me. At the tender age of 12, my 9 year old sister sat beside me on the grass as we painted this bridge. We were attending "Painting in the Parks" that summer and we'd been given large cardboard folders to act as easels and to carry our papers home in. My grandmother Clara, had enrolled us and I remember another spot at the edge of the park where we sat and painted a large Tudor style home across from the park. I wish I remembered more but do know we were taken to different locations by an art instructor and when I first started painting as an adult, I chose to copy a picture I'd taken of the stone bridge. The beautiful floral gardens, duck ponds, magnificent trees and lovely vistas make the more than 200 acre Beacon Hill Park a real treasure for Victorians - just as it was more than 150 years ago.
what a glorious walk!
ReplyDeleteAloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral
What a great memory Sheila! I visited Victoria once many years ago and I remember the beautiful gardens and homes and I can imagine what fun it must be to paint those great images standing right there!
ReplyDeleteMaybe you could post some of those paintings someday for us to see?
Have a wonderful day....
Tina xo
It really is a treasure! Our Lillypad did her fourth and final co-op for her degree this summer at the Children's Farm. My parents spend the winter in an apartment overlooking the herons rookery in the park. We are so lucky to have Beacon Hill!
ReplyDeleteBeacon Hill is a beautiful place and you've captured it so well with your words and photos. That stone bridge is evocative of times long past.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to visit it once again, and that the weather was so cooperative.
What a magical place. So beautiful. And what a wonderful family story. I enjoyed reading your memories about you and your sister painting the bridge. How nice to have such beautiful moments to cherish.
ReplyDeletehi,
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful place and what a nice family
story.it was a pleasure for me to read this story about your family.thanks for the wonderful photos
have a nice week,
regina