Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Fabric of My Life

A "Mosaic"of Fabric
40 years ago with my Grandmother and my Mother...
Yes, by rights I should already have cabin fever after a cold weekend spent indoors.  But today I am busy writing down a list of all the things I want to sew for Christmas.  I have loved sewing my whole life it seems.  My grandmother taught me to thread a needle and embroider at an early age and my sister and I woke up one Christmas morning to find Miss Canada dolls under the tree.  They were about 10.5 inches tall and of course we wanted more doll clothes.  Patterns for doll clothes were available so my mother taught me to pin and cut a pattern and how to use her Featherweight Singer sewing machine when I was about 11.

My grandmother wanted to encourage me, so let me choose some fabric to make an Easter dress for myself.  I entered the Hudson Bay's teenage fashion show and was given honorable mention as the youngest sewer in the fashion show. When I was 14 or 15, my god-mother paid me to make a pink mohair suit for her.  White duck squall jackets were the rage and after making one for myself, I took orders.  I made at least 3 or 4 more for my sister and our friends.  Over the years I sewed ballgowns, grad dresses, my wedding dress, dressing gowns, suits...the list goes on and on.

I sewed many outfits for my children and quilts for each new baby that was born.  There was a period of time where I made place mats, quilted hoops, tea cosys and quilts to sell in craft fairs. The hours spent sewing have been so enjoyable and I always feel at peace as the machine begins to connect the pieces and help me create the fabric gifts I love to give.  I'm so grateful for the gift of sewing that my busy mom had time to give me more than 50 years ago.    Hope you're enjoying your weekend wherever you are.  I'll link this post to Mary's Mosaic Monday on this wintery Sunday evening in Northern Alberta.

15 comments:

  1. How lucky that you learned to sew - wish I did.
    The quilted piece you're showing is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. quilts are visible love...and what a treasure that photo is!

    Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful mosaic! How lucky to have such a wonderful talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet memories... Your fabric mosaic reminds me of the new mug rugs that everyone is making these days. What a great photo of you and your mother and grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello neighbour Albertan!! Thank you for the visit. You have quite a talent in your sewing. I really like your patchwork. You are so fortunate to have the teachers you have had to lead you to this talent! Have a great week and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheila
    You are so fortunate to be able to sew so well and enjoy it so much! My mother did not take much interest in sewing and I never had any one to teach me. I do like to embroider and I did cross stitch and crewel work when I was younger but it seemed to have lost popularity. Sewing beautiful things never goes out of style!
    The photo of you with your Mom and grandmother is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful skill to have, well done Grandma & Mum for encouraging you from the start.
    Have a great week.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a wonderful talent and an ability to bring happiness to yourself and to others. I can barely do a straight stitch. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sewing is a wonderful skill, and a creative outlet. My mother taught me to sew as well, and I enjoy it still. Time is limited for sewing these days and I'm looking forward to the day when I can get back to it.
    I hope you share some of your Christmas sewing projects with us. (maybe after the day)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful mosaic and very sweet blog you have here! I have perused many of your posts and enjoyed each one!

    My mom was an avid seamstress but I did not get her talent and zeal for sewing as you did from your mom. Your work is lovely!

    Thank you for stopping by my place and leaving your comment! Nice to meet you!

    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful that you mom and grandma encouraged you to sew. That's a great and useful skill. I'm not good at sewing, but I crocheted and knitted lots of clothes for my dolls, and when I was 15-16 I knitted sweaters for other people to earn some pocket money.
    That fabric mosaic is so lovely!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sound like quit an artist. Sewing is a great talent to have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what wonderful memories, and such a sweet photo of you! Thanks for sharing at MM> :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the good wishes for our holiday, Sheila! Have a wonderful weekend!

    I love your header photo --the beautiful sky silhouetted by the tall pines is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your grandmother started you off on a wonderful path, Sheila. It sounds as though your gift with a needle has given you a lot of pleasure ver the years, as well as a lot of satisfaction. I wonder how many of those ball gowns went to formal events at Royal Roads!

    ReplyDelete