Today's post was inspired by a blogging friend who lives on Vancouver Island in my favorite province of "Beautiful British Columbia". My response to her post turned out to be so wordy I thought I'd reprint it here.
"Lorrie, your list of autumn pleasures helps a person like me put our short season in perspective. I equate autumn with the brilliance of the fall leaves for a mere week or two. Here autumn starts with the first sound of the swathers and combines in the fields and the hard work of harvest. Now it's a time of warming up the interior of the house with the colours of my pillows etc. It's a time for home made pies and soups, good music and enjoying warm cups of tea, hot chocolate and reading good books. We've had such a gift this year, as although we had a few days of snow that have come and gone, winter only arrived yesterday. But what a gift -realistically there's just five and a half months left of "boots, gloves, toques and scarves weather" until the beginning of May when we'll see sprigs of green. It's been a great autumn!"
I encourage you to take a look at the wonderful list of Autumn Pleasures Lorrie created for her post on Nov 11th. Lorrie's Fabric, Paper Thread blog is charming and filled with inspiration.
Today's weather forecast is as follows...
"Today..Cloudy with 30 percent chance of light snow. Wind north 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this afternoon. Temperature steady near minus 7."
Hope your day is filled with sunshine-
wherever you are!
Ah Sheila, I remember our years in Cold Lake and the day, one early November, (it was the 7th) that the thermometer fell to -40.
ReplyDeleteOver here on the island we had one of those winter storms that bring 90km an hour winds. Last night we lost a tree, many tree-sized cedar limbs, an arbor and our flagpole. It was wild!
Sheila winter weather comes to your area so early!
ReplyDeleteWe are having a rather long autumn here in NY this year. The trees are still very full of leaves that are glorious hues of golds, oranges and reds and daytime temps have been in the 50-s and 60's. I'm sure in a few weeks the frost will arrive and winter will be here, but for now autumn still reigns! :)
Going over to see Lorrie's blog..thanks!
Hello Sheila,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the email, and I don't mind at all that you've linked to my post.
Autumn can be very short in your part of the world. I grew up in Prince George and the winters seemed interminable.
Your idea of focusing on the interior of your home is a wonderful way to get through the winter. And it sounds like you're getting cozy and comfortable.
I hope your day is full of good things.
It's begining to seem a lot like christmas here to....we haven't seen snow yet but it has rained the last to days and the wind is up. I like this time of year....just not so much the real cold. Trish
ReplyDeleteI'm appreciating our beautiful autumn all the more...after realizing how short the season is in your part of the country! And I'm a little reluctant to let it go...knowing what will replace it. Wishing you a warm and cozy home...filled with love...through the next season.
ReplyDeletethank you for bringing them to me here :)
ReplyDeleteAloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral
><}}(°>
<°)}}><