After meeting and marrying in San Francisco, Francis and Margaret made their way up the West Coast and settled on Orcas Island. The Pig War on San Juan Island was an international boundary dispute between British North America and the United States. In 1859, Frank Campbell decided he would rather live under British rule so he rowed his wife and infant daughter across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. They spent the night outside Fort Victoria before being allowed in at morning's light. It wasn't long before he established a cigar shop in the corner of a saloon in downtown Victoria. Men gathered to hear the latest news at Campbell's Corner and Frank kept them posted by writing the news of which ships were docking and birth and death notices on his board.
![]() |
| Click collages to enlarge |
I feel extremely privileged to have been given these family treasures. My great great grandmother's chest is filled with old photographs and memories. The top drawer folds down and serves as a writing desk. Once opened, a wooden divider is removed and reveals a drawer and cubbyholes for letters. The drawers are hand dovetailed and 5 different types of wood were used to construct the chest. It's made in two sections and the top 3 drawers are placed on the bottom two which rest on sturdy ball shaped feet. I'm not sure of the exact age of the sea chest - it may be close to 200 years old now but I know that it was used by my grandmother, my great grandmother and by my great great grandmother and it's been in my possession for almost twenty years. It's only part of my Irish heritage.
Best wishes for a Happy St Patrick's Day!
I've just discovered Cuisine Kathleen's Annual St Patrick's Day Blog Hop. For some great Irish recipes be sure to visit there.
I'm linking this post to Mary's Mosaic Monday - it's a great place to meet new friends!




What a beautiful heirloom, Sheila. You are so fortunate to have the photos and other items too. We all come 'from away' and not many of us have anything that came over with our ancestors. I have a feeling that you'll make St Patrick's Day special at your house.
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful treasures these are, Sheila! The chest and paisley coverlet are in such perfect condition! I hardly know anything about my Irish ancestors except for my maiden name, let alone have anything that was handed down from them. Same with the Ukrainian maternal side of my family. My grandmother arrived at Ellis Island with very little. I often wish I had more information.
ReplyDeleteOh Sheila I love this post, what a beautiful chest and you can pass it down to your daughter. It is wonderful!....I too am Irish and am very proud of my Irish heritage.....my father's family settled in New Brunswick after the potato famine. Ireland is my favorite country other than Canada. I so loved visiting there and plan on returning for another visit soon. Happy St. Patrick's day my friend....:-)Hugs
ReplyDeleteIt's always nice to see those you have been bequeathed family heirlooms do actually treasure them. Too often these things are lost to a family - I know your treasures are safe in your hands.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to have all that history in your possession and the story to go with it. An excellent post. Enjoy St Patrick's Day.
ReplyDeleteSheila this is a wonderful story, to know so much about your ancestors is such a gift.
ReplyDeleteThe chest on chest is a true family heirloom to be passed down, along with it's history, to all of Fracis & Margarets descendants.
Happy St Patricks Day, my dear.
What a fascinating glimpse into the past, Sheila, made all the more interesting for the personal touch. You do have a strong connection to Victoria.
ReplyDeleteThe chest is beautiful, as is the coverlet. You are taking good care of these treasures, and the stories that accompany them.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
What a lovely heirloom Sheila! You are fortunate to have those artifacts and the stories of your family history! Happy St. Patrick's Day!
ReplyDeleteYou are one fortunate lady to have inherited that simply beautiful piece of furniture, cherish it, I certainly would.
ReplyDeleteWhat a treasure that is!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for linking up to the ♣ Blog Crawl.
I have that same shamrock pin!
What a wonderful story of your family. It was great hearing it. Happy St. Patricks Day.
ReplyDeleteHello Sheila,
ReplyDeleteI love reading personal stories like this one. It's so interesting to learn a bit about life of real people, who lived many years ago. Thank you for sharing it. And you are lucky to have all these family treasures.
Happy St.Patric's Day!
Sheila,
ReplyDeleteLovely story. I am 1/4 Irish. My ancestors settled in Amesbury, MA. A lot of feuding - so sad. I have a couple of treasures but not many. Your treasures are beautiful.
Carol
Oh my! What wonderful treasures you have!! Well done! Happy St. Patrick's day to you and yours! Cathy
ReplyDeleteGood blog my friend!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your visit, Sheila!
ReplyDeleteYou have some wonderful and authentic Irish treasures! I really enjoyed reading about your great-grandparents!