Sunday, May 22, 2011

Spring Greens

The greens of spring on our farm are as welcome as the sunshine. It's wonderful to see green as far as the eye can see and before too long the lilacs will be in full bloom. The greens that please me the most are the perennial greens that are pushing through the soil every day.  Within weeks they will be blooming and brightening up our yard.


How quickly time passes when life and circumstances catch up with you.  In the past week we enjoyed having our daughter home for a few days.
Together we baked dozens of cupcakes and cookies to donate to the local evacuation center for some of the victims of Alberta's worst wildfire. We were told that the kitchen couldn't accept donations due to health regulations - understandable for sure, so we offered our baking to people who were outside the building.   As volunteers, we were assigned to sorting children's clothing.  People opened their homes to evacuees, local businesses donated many items,  and trucks rolled in with donations of clothing and food from all over Alberta.

It was heartbreaking to see the long rows of cots lined up with a few belongings piled on top.  Over 1000 people who took refuge in our multiplex are being given 3 meals a day by the wonderful dedicated kitchen volunteers and our community really pulled together to help those who were temporarily or permanently homeless. The hardest thing was that the 7,000 residents of Slave Lake didn't know if their homes were still standing for almost a week.  In the end over 370 homes, the new town hall, library and many businesses were lost in Slave Lake.

Thankfully, the government has agreed to provide housing til the end of the summer for those in need.  Hopefully the resilience of the human spirit will help to overcome the huge losses and mental anguish of having homes, jobs and memories wiped out all at once.  It will be a tough road ahead and my prayers are with the people of Slave Lake.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful mosaic!! It is a wonderful feeling to be able to help those in need, you are a wonderful person to be doing this. Take care and have an enjoyable week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful energy you send to help us all!!


    Warm Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to see what the people of Slave Lake are going through. It's so good of you to help - and food is always welcome, no matter what!
    Your greens of spring are looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly I admired your wonderful green mosaic and thought "Sheila must be so happy to see green shoots at last".
    Then I admired you & your daughter for volunteering your time and energy to helping those in need.
    I wasn't aware of the disaster that Albertas residents are facing, it didn't make my news channel, but I wish them, all those helping them, the very best for whatever the future now holds.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie - I'd forgotten to provide links - If you're interested you can click the links. It may be weeks before the residents are allowed to go back to their community and many will have nothing to go back to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I had no idea that there had been wildfires in Alberta. (Typical of the media here in the States I might add.) It seems as if the entire world has troubles and some such big troubles. How are the plans for your trip coming? (I really thought that you must already be on your way.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry that so many lost so much in the fires, Sheila, and I'm sure the volunteers were cheered by your baked goods as they did their work. This has also been such a terrible spring all over the USA with loss of life in floods and tornadoes. We have to give thanks for our blessings and help those in need. whatever way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sheila,
    I love your greens. How wonderful that spring is finally arriving to your place. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your plants when they bloom.
    I am sorry for the people of Slave Lake who lost their homes. But I'm glad to know that people in your community are so kindhearted and help each other in challenging times. God bless them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those unfortunate people at Slave Lake and in Joplin, Missouri. You were good to bake and volunteer. Every little bit helps.

    Love your greens. Maybe winter would be easier to take if the snow were green! Nancy H

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your heart must be singing at the sight of all the greens surrounding you.

    We've been watching the news about the Slave Lake fires, and I think of you every time they mention Athabasca. How tragic to lose homes and belongings, but how wonderful that no one was hurt in the fires (although it's very sad that one helicopter pilot lost his life).

    Bless you for helping out - I'm sure it's appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yet another dreadful disaster, so sad, the world is in turmoil. Thank goodness for the cheery sight of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is sad news and we didn't hear about it. How wonderful of you to help out. It must be a horrifying ordeal. I'm glad that the people are given shelter and homes. Glad to here you had some time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete