Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

It's Mother's Day and like many of you, I'm thinking of my mother.  She was raised by parents who had emigrated from Holland to southern Alberta.  Her father was a farmer and her mother raised seven children.  My mother, the second youngest, took her nurses training in Victoria, BC.  She married my father just a month after receiving her RN and then set off on a series of postings across Canada during the war years.  It must have been exciting to be a young couple off on such an adventure. My father was never posted overseas due to medical issues, so their life as a young married couple might have been far happier than many couples who were separated by circumstances in World War II.  My mother told me often about the night the war ended when she wore out a pair of shoes dancing on the downtown streets of Toronto. 

I have so many memories but one in particular is that Mom loved to swim and summer holidays and our weekends involved trips to the lake or stopping by the rivers we came across as we drove along in the car.  This is a favorite family photo of Mom with "all her children" as she used to say.  Happy Mother's Day to all of you as you remember or celebrate with your mother today!  I'll be linking to Mary's Mosaic Monday today...consider a visit to her Little Red House one of these days.

13 comments:

  1. Very cool to see into the past in the old photos and the history of your parents. Thanks for sharing that and hope you had a good day today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your Mom. Mother's Day always reminds me of my mother.I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom looks lovely, especially in that last photo with all her children around her. This is a day to treasure memories of mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you stole my heart!
    I love love love!!!!!! This post...for oh so many reasons!
    Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
    Your newest followers....
    Cat and Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that bit of history. I think we all remembered our mothers today, and missed them. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the old photos. I see similarities with my mum. Second youngest and studied to be a nurse. Nice memories and a lovely tribute to your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tribute to your Mother. Well done! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a touching and lovely tribute to your mother! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your mama was so pretty and what a sense of style she had. I can see that right away! My mother also had an end of WWII story so I really enjoyed reading about your mother's wearing out her shoes dancing all night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely tribute to your mother. The pictures are certainly treasures. Thanks for sharing. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a lovely tribute to your Mom, Sheila! She looked so happy holding on to her handsome soldier :)

    I hope you had a very happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely tribute to your mom, Sheila. Hope you had a wonderful Mom's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mum and dad look so happy and carefree. Isn't it lovely to have a glimpse of them, before children, before responsibility?

    ReplyDelete