
Spring arrives in it's own particular way in Northern Alberta. Some of the unwelcome highlights are dandelions, mosquitoes, bear sightings and smoke in the air from the wildfires. On the welcome side the thin sprigs of the first spring grass are poking through the winter killed grass, the lilacs are almost blooming, there are mallards in the pond across the road and we can open the windows now at night. The farmer is seeding barley and I've helped move vehicles from one field to the other and I keep in touch by radio. I make breakfast and a late dinner at home but I take lunch to the field most afternoons. He's so easy to please! Today he opened up the tin foil in the lunch box and said "Hot dogs - my favorite!" The potato salad, fresh ginger cookies, and iced tea topped it off and he was a happy farmer. Seeding should be finished by Friday. I've planted most of the vegetable garden and will finish up the potatoes and corn tomorrow.

Next week I will be trying to fill the freezer with baking and casseroles, cleaning, packing and crossing off my final list... then I'm off to Italy. I really appreciate all the comments about my upcoming trip you made recently. Grazie mille! I apologize for not having the time to visit your blogs lately but hopefully I'll get the chance one of these early mornings just as the sun is rising.
Keep smiling and I'll see you sometime this summer.
Please think about stopping by Mary's Little Red House for Mosaic Mondays.
Sunshine Always - Sheila

A lovely post, Sheila, filling us in on the happenings in your world. The library sale sounded like a fun day. I like the mental picture I've formed of you taking lunch out to the field for your farmer. And how happy I am to hear of spring's arrival in the greening and blossoming.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a pretty good week, Sheila!...and a full one.
ReplyDeleteYour trip is coming up very quickly. I can just imagine the fun you'll have - it's like a dream - a trip to Italy with your daughter. I look forward to reading about it!
So enjoyed reading about your week Sheila and I am so excited for you and your trip to Italy. It will be wonderful. Now don't work to hard and wishing you another full and productive week......:-)Hugs
ReplyDeleteSheila,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful mosaics. I know your trip is just going to be wonderful. Take lots of pictures. I am going to take a break shortly just until I get organized in Maine.
Carol
Loved catching up on all your "doings", you had a busy week indeed.
ReplyDeleteThe mosaics as lovely, especially the yellow one, very springlike.
Have a wonderful trip and keep us posted!
Maggie
Sheila, Sounds like a wonderful week and great goodies! Lovely blooms. So nice to hear what folks have been doing. It's like catching up with friends. Happy Monday!
ReplyDeleteYour photo mosaics are beautiful, Sheila. Spring doings around your farm sound very busy. I know you must be happily anticipating the wonderful trip to Italy with your daughter, and have many preparations to do to get ready for it. I'm really looking forward to seeing all your photos and hearing about your trip when you return. Enjoy every second!
ReplyDeleteYou must be getting so excited about your trip, although I think your husband will miss you and the packed lunches you take out to the fields.
ReplyDeleteMorning! Please visit me today. ☺
ReplyDeleteCangrats on your win over at Vee's. I'm glad it was you!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your seeding is about complete. Sure hope the weather co-operates for you this week. We still have most of our corn fields to work and plant. It will be a late crop this year!
I was wondering how the smoke would be affecting you. It might be a good time to escape to Italy!
You cram a lot into your week. The sale and your bargains sound great. then the hard slog of farm work must keep you busy.Good luck with the veggies.
ReplyDeleteDear Sheila,
ReplyDeleteyour photo mosaics are wonderful. How nice that spring is finally arriving in your region.
I've been so busy lately with my two boys and didn't do much blogging. Somehow I missed the news about you going on a trip to Italy. That is so exciting. Have a wonderful and safe trip. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and reading all about it.
Absolutely wonderful!
ReplyDeleteYou're an inspiration!!
You may be on your way here by now, just called by again to say thankyou for your kind words. We had a wonderful time at the wedding this weekend, now back catching up with all the jobs that need doing in the garden having been left for a few days!
ReplyDeleteYou are being a good wife to leave all that food prepared. I used to do that when I went home to Georgina to visit my parents. And when I returned to my husband, all the food was still there. He didn't bother to heat it. Canned stew was easier! Nancy
ReplyDelete