Our tickets are booked, I have a planning calendar and have checked off quite a few things on the list of things to do. I've packed my suitcase, organized, planned and Googled maps countless times. I've started attaching sticky notes to the top of my bookcase at eye level. I picked up my 3 week coffee table book at the library yesterday...."In Tuscany" by Frances Mayes.
My daughter studied for a semester in Tuscany and ever since has wanted me to visit her special hilltown. We decided that the time is "now" so we will be spending 2 weeks in Rome and another 2 weeks in Cortona.
I'm looking so forward to being in the town that found a place in my daughter's heart. I would call her at the student hostel and I could hear her footsteps coming down the long stone staircase to answer the phone. She has friends there and a favorite restaurant she says we'll eat in often. She wants to take me to the olive grove where she and her friends picked olives and to the little store that sells the best sandwiches in the world. We will be taking day trips down the mountain to places like Arrezo and Assisi and hiking to get to the special places around Cortona.
I really can't wait to go to Italy but in the meantime spring has arrived here on the farm and the farmer is cultivating the fields. I have supper on the stove and there's work to be done today....but I'm counting the days I can tell you!
The framed postcards (click to enlarge) are my "mosaics" tonight but I promise you'll be seeing many more before the summer's over. Mary's Little Red House will be a great place to visit if you have extra time one of these nights. Consider a virtual visit!
I know you are excited about your trip. Sounds wonderful. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a dream trip - Italy with your daughter! I am such a fan (groupie?) of all books on Tuscany, so I can just imagine where you'll be. What a wonderful adventure!
ReplyDeleteYOu are going to have the trip of a lifetime. I have visited Florence and Rome, but that is all. My week there was divine and I have so many wonderful memories. My best friend and I took our daughters on a mother-daughter getaway. It was heavenly.
ReplyDeleteOh how wonderful!!!
ReplyDeleteSheila, this sounds like the trip of a life time.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy and share with us so we'll know what we're missing.
Judith
To go to Italy, the trip of a lifetime... but to share it through your daughter's eyes, will be a dream come true.
ReplyDeleteOh boy! This is going to be such great fun for you and your daughter. She is so going to love showing you her favorite places. Take lots and lots of pictures. I think visiting Tuscany via your blog is the only way that I'll ever get to see it.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a wonderful trip, I know you will enjoy it very much. Windy days but it is so nice to have the sunshine again, I am loving it.
ReplyDelete......:-)Hugs
I want to echo Mary. "Oh, how wonderful!" No wonder you are excited. I know it's going to be fabulous.
ReplyDeleteHi Sheila,
ReplyDeleteYou are in for a wonderful treat with your daughter, Tuscany is simply amazing.
Maggie
Sheila,
ReplyDeleteYou are going to have the most magnificent time. Tuscany would be my dream trip as well.
I will look forward to hearing all about it and seeing the pictures.
Carol
I am so happy for you! You must be incredibly excited to be going! Ever since seeing Under the Tuscan Sun, based on Frances Mayes' novel of the same name, I have desired to travel to Tuscany. You'll love it!
ReplyDeleteAs per your question about rhododendrons, I grow the PJM rhododendron. It is said to be hardy to zone 4 but in my zone 3b garden it is doing great. The flower buds, afterall, are hardy to -40 C! Plant it in a sheltered spot, out of direct wind. I have a little microclimate near by deck stairs, facing west, that it seems to love. You can visit the following post for more information Rhododendron in Bloom.
Enjoy your vacation. Would you send a postcard my way?
How exciting, Sheila! You're going to have a wonderful time. I love reading books about the places I intend to visit, too.
ReplyDeleteVisiting Tuscany with your daughter sounds like a fabulous way to see this beautiful part of the world. I hope you take lots of photos to share with us - I've never been there, but would like to go, someday.
Oh, you lucky dog! Wish I could go with you. My son (the actor one) had a holiday in Italy and loved it. You will have a fantastic time. Enjoy!!!! Nancy H
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you and am looking forward to hearing all about your trip. When you are studying your maps look for our region of Viterbo hidden between Roma and Tuscany.
ReplyDeleteIt will be such a memorable trip with your daughter, Sheila. My husband and I loved the Tuscan region when we traveled through Italy. We stayed a week in Florence and visited the surrounding towns. There is such a beautiful golden light there that is indescribable. I look forward to seeing your photos when you return.
ReplyDeleteWoohoo you lucky girl, off to Tuscany, a place still on my bucket list. You will have the best time with your daughter. Looking forward to your reports and pics.
ReplyDeleteYou will have a fabulous time! How fun to be able to return to some of your daughter's favorite spots.
ReplyDeleteWe really like the Rick Steves travel guides...he does an awesome job.
This sounds like it will be a fabulous trip!!
ReplyDeleteSafe travels,
Barb
With regards to your question to which I was unable to reply to direct. I think day trips out of Roma depend very much on the individual and how much time they want to spend travelling. Personally my husband and I prefer to take in our immediate surroundings, however I have heard of people visiting Naples while staying in Roma! The train services are excellent worth looking into anywhere that is a two hour train ride away if you want to venture out of the city.
ReplyDelete