Monday, September 12, 2011

All Roads Lead To Rome

We had two weeks in Rome, house sitting for a friend and her family while she was back visiting friends and family in Canada.  We enjoyed her hospitality before they departed, and her garden oasis to escape to at the end of our long days seeing the sights of Rome.  We caught the Metro and in a short time were in the centre of Rome.  The first trip was to see the Colosseum and we walked by the Roman Forums and Trajan's Market on our way to the impressive white marble Victor Emmanuel Monument. We went to the roof top where a very nice cafeteria provided huge misting fans to cool people off.  The heat and humidity combined were exhausting and we were lucky to find a table right under a fan.  The panoramic views of Rome were fabulous and I'd highly recommend seeing Rome from that particular vantage point. 










I'm joining Mary's Mosaic Monday again this week. 
The collage and pictures can all be enlarged by a click or two.  

13 comments:

  1. I can't imagine the treat it must have been - to stay in Rome, in a house, and to have the luxury of time to wander and poke around - not just to enjoy all the famous places, but to discover the out-of-the-way and make it your own. Thanks for sharing your dream-stay with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a fabulous stay. Like Pondside, staying the way you did must have added such dimesnion to your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sheila

    I have never been in Rome in high summer. So I can well imagine that a garden all to yourself really must have been an oasis, far removed from the tourists and offering shade from the heat.
    Thank you for your beautiful photos.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful old buildings, how lucky you were to see them and Rome while staying in a friends house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Huge misting fans" sounds like an amazing concept. I hadn't stopped to consider that your journey was in the heat of summer in Italy. Oh my! And you a Canadian... I don't know if I would've done as well as you seem to have. Sometimes I miss a wonderful opportunity for the inconvenience of it all. Yup, I'm a whiner. ☺

    Beautiful photos and mosaic. Of course, I had to take a closer look. I didn't know the story of the Victor Emmanuel monument and was surprised to find it so recent an addition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila,

    Beautiful photography. Your trip was amazing. My internet has been a problem this summer so I have not bloghopped as much as I like to. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip!!...and to spend two weeks there? *sigh* Thanks for sharing with us!

    I'm your newest follower and would love for you to follow me.
    Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All roads round here really do lead to Roma, it is lovely to see from your photos and read how much you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll get there one day, but in the meantime I so enjoyed this virtual trip with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos of the Eternal City, Sheila! I did not know about the restaurnat on the roof top of the Victor Emmanuel building.,..a fact I will tuck away for the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice site you have here! Your photos and thoughts about Italy, Sheila, have me remembering my journey there that I wrote about in November of 2010. How amazing it was to stand where all the historical events I learned about actually happened and to find that the crumbling artifacts and buildings were as beautiful as ever. Thanks for bringing back the wonderful memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You took such wonderful photos! You must have been in awe at what you were seeing! I would probably forget to take a photo! That's how I am at the beach! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing city! The architecture is breathtaking. One day I will visit this great city too. Thank you for these wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete