Monday, September 19, 2011

A Glimpse of St Peter's



St Peter's is magnificent.  We waited in the shade of the huge stone pillars for Pope Benedict XVI to say the noon Angelus.  Thousands of people waited and watched as more and more gathered until there was an estimated 40,000 people in the square.  All of a sudden the crowds hushed and there was an audible "Oh" as the people noticed the Pope step into the tiny window of the papal apartments.  The crowd stood and listened to his Italian words with rapt attention. Then he greeted the crowd in several languages including German, Spanish and English.  He thanked the tourists for spending part of their vacation visiting the Vatican.   The interior is indescribable so I'll let my photos do the talking today.











I'm linking to Mary's Little Red House this Monday. 

All photos and collages can be enlarged with a click or two...

8 comments:

  1. Lovely photos from your visit to Rome. Have a fine week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow at least here I could see St Peters square, the Pope and the ceilings that are so gorgeous. Love the Pieta statue too. ^_^

    Mosaic Monday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila
    Saint Peter's is so beautiful, and large, isn't it? Michaelangelo's Pieta is always a breathtaking sight! Did you know it came to NYC during the 1964 World's Fair? I saw it then fpor the first time. I love your photo of Pope Benedict XVI in the window! Doe she say the Angelus every day?

    Long ago, on my first trip to Italy, I was in the Vatican to hear Pope Paul VI say Mass on Easter Sunday. He later waved to the crowd outside from the balcony. It was a incredible sight--one I will never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I got tricked into trying to enlarge and got booted off and, of course, all I saw was the new strip. Oh well, I can almost imagine the details. The pope sounds like a wonderful ambassador for tourism!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It truly has to be seen, doesn't it? I'll never forget our visit there, the treasures, the rapt attention of all the tourists - seeing the fabulous in an everyday sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see St Peter's again. I have a postcard on my fridge that a friend sent me this summer - but nothing beats actually being there.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheila, I've been chatting with a few bloggers about this enlargement issue and we all agree that it is a Blogger thing. We're not sure why they'd do this except it does make it easier for those who use Pinterest. A definite case of they'll do as they wish and apologize (or not) later. It's very frustrating that's all I know.

    ReplyDelete