Friday, February 24, 2012

On the Road Again

I always love a road trip and enjoy finding new routes using a good old fashioned paper map.  We drove to a family wedding in Lloydminster last weekend and we decided to take less traveled highways.  I missed two sleighs being pulled along the side of the highway by teams of horses.  That will teach me to put my camera away for a few minutes.  But we did see some of Alberta's "Large Roadside Attractions" and of course I had my camera out to snap a view of those tourist attractions. 
Wikipedia states that, "A large percentage of Vegreville's population is of Ukrainian Canadian descent. The world's largest pysanka (Ukrainian Easter egg)[2] was created to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in 1974 and to celebrate Vegreville's ethnic heritage." 
According to Wikipedia, "Mundare is home of the world's largest garlic sausage (kielbasa or kovbasa), which cost about $120,000 to build and erect.[4]"


In Andrew, we saw the World's Largest Duck and some wonderful old gas pumps.
If you're interested in finding out more about Canada's Large Roadside Attractions check them out here. It really amazed me to know that there are so many "Large Attractions" built across Canada.  I suppose it's a way to attract tourists to each location but I wonder if it really works.  A quick stop and a snap and then we were on the road again.  I much preferred seeing the natural beauty of the landscape or the old buildings  in the small towns as we travelled along.  Have a wonderful weekend !

14 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila. We saw the egg on one of our trips to Alberta. I took a photo from the car as it was raining hard. You should take time to visit the Ukranian Village near Vegreville. We spent a couple of hours there and it was so interesting. New Brunswick has a Giant Axe in Nackawic, a giant fiddle (Don Messer) in Harvey, the Lobster in Shediac and many others. I don't know how many tourists they attract. I thinks the lobster is the most popular as Shediac has it's famous Parlee Beach. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a large statue of Paul Bunyan in state, but nothing else of that nature that I can think of. I'm probably forgetting something. What a beautiful church! Is that a Ukrainian church?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the Ukrainian church in Smoky Lake. It's famous for it's pumpkin growing contest.

      Delete
  3. Sheila,
    I have seen this pysanka! When I used to live in Saskatchewan I would drive by it on the way to visit friends in Edmonton. That was a few years(decades)ago!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. The spacing looks a bit wonky in my comment. Not quite sure why.

      Delete
  4. How neat and what a fun trip! Love seeing photos of things I will probably never get to see! Didn't I start visiting when you showed photos of a trip to Italy? OH MY! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea that there was so many "large attractions" across Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see being famous for having the World's largest decorated egg but the largest garlic sausage might not be the notariety that a town wants. I would have loved to have seen the sleighs. Sounds like a great route to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last time we drove through Alberta we had to make sure to stop in at the hotel in Vegreville to have a feed of pierogies and sausage. They were delicious - well worth the detour.
    The little church brought back memories of Smoky Lake, where there was a beautiful little church, back in the 80's. We'd pass it on our way down from Cold Lake. I wonder if it's still there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm like you in preferring the old buildings and the natural landscape. But those are some amazing "big" things! Reminds me of Biggar, SK, where a sign used to say (and maybe still does) "New York might be big, but we are Biggar."

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The natural beauty of the landsacape and the old buildings are more to my taste as well Shelia, however still fascinating to hear about them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Part of my heritage is Ukrainian, so I enjoyed seeing the large Pysanka and the domed church, Sheila.

    ReplyDelete