I've always loved trees and their beauty through the year as the seasons change. I was lucky enough to grow up surrounded by beautiful trees. On the street where our family lived, this time of year was glorious as the boulevards were lined with ornamental flowering trees. We walked to school along streets lined with trees and our yard had fruit trees of almost every variety. We lived just blocks away from
Beacon Hill Park and somehow though it was intended for all the people of our city it seemed to be almost part of our backyard. Today my collage of trees is made up of a magazine picture, and photos of a post card, a park and a painting....
I THINK that I shall never see |
|
A poem lovely as a tree. |
|
|
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest |
|
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast; |
|
|
A tree that looks at God all day, | |
And lifts her leafy arms to pray; |
|
|
A tree that may in summer wear |
|
A nest of robins in her hair; |
|
|
Upon whose bosom snow has lain; |
|
Who intimately lives with rain. | |
|
Poems are made by fools like me, |
|
But only God can make a tree. |
|
|
Hi Sheila. Thanks for posting that poem "Trees". We memorized it in elementary school and I've been wanting to find it but couldn't remember the author's name. I love trees and grew up in a neighbourhood with mature trees everywhere. Sadly when I drive down that street most of the huge trees are now gone. Have a wonderful week! Pamela
ReplyDeleteAll those wonderful scenes are familiar to me. My parents live, during the winter, overlooking the heron rookery in Beacon Hill Park - they have a wonderful view of the giant cedars, the willows and the blossoming trees as spring advances. At the risk of making your homesick...it is truly beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLovely images you've chosen, Sheila. That park sounds incredible.
ReplyDeleteI love your trees. Thanks for posting the poem. It has been too long since I read it. Try reading Robin Pilcher. Not exactly like his mother but still satisfying.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful captures of trees.
ReplyDeleteOddly enough, we don't go often to Beacon Hill Park. I don't know why. We tend to walk along the waterfront if we drive downtown. But the park is beautiful and we should make a point of going more often.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the poem! So sweet! The photos are gorgeous and how wonderful to grow up near Beacon Hill Park.
ReplyDeleteI love Victoria, my youngest brother and his family live near there in Sydney. Sydney is also very beautiful!
Hugs, Cindy
I also love trees of all kinds, Sheila. The park I walk in almost every morning is lined with large oak and male trees. I love them all the seasons of the year, but especially in autumn.
ReplyDeleteOh Sheila, you and I are definitely on the same page this wek, guess what I did my post on. Lovely post.
ReplyDeleteWe share a love of trees and this poem is one of my favourites! Love the photo with the bridge! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely poem and photos, by coincidence on my last walk with my camera,trees featured a lot!
ReplyDelete