Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Birthday Celebration

 
What a weekend I've had.  The royal treatment happened all because I've suddenly become "older" and I have loved every minute of the whole experience. I was surprised and so happy to see my family and friends gathered together and waiting for us to walk in to Edmonton's oldest Chinese Restaurant.  I've never had a surprise birthday party before and was truly thrilled to see all those familiar faces smiling at me.  The sign on the door warned patrons to be prepared to spend two hours dining as all the food is prepared when ordered.  It was so delicious and really the best Chinese food our family has ever eaten. 

There was a wonderful cake for dessert and the evening finished with our family going to our daughter's condo.  Yellow roses, a champagne toast, lots of shared stories, lovely gifts and cards all combined to make me feel extra special.
I can't help but smile as I look forward to another year.

It really was the happiest of birthdays.  

13 comments:

  1. That was a nice surprise and a good spread of food. Thanks for sharing your celebration with us. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! A big party...how special! And you look very happy and YOUNG! Enjoy your week...keep celebrating! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful reward for 'just getting older'! When family members gather in celebration and do it so well, it's not hard to see the hand of the mothers of the family, back through the generations, teaching the next generation how to exercise the gift of hospitality. Your family learned it - what sweethearts they are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look wonderful, Sheila - the smile on your face says it all! How joyous when family and friends can get together to fete such an occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, glad you got the royal treatment. Best wishes for the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birthdays like that make it worth it to grow older. Glad you had the birthday you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful new blog header. You are so creative with your headers! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Belated Happy Birthday Shelia, what a lovely surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! It does sound like a perfect celebration!
    Belated Happy Birthday to you, dear Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun to have a surprise birthday party, was it your 50th? Once we reach this age, we don't mind telling our age, I have found anyways.
    Happy, happy Birthday!!!
    You are the fourth blogger that I know personally to have a b'day in March.
    Big birthday hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Special Birthday, Sheila! Spending it with family this way was a wonderful treat, I'm sure. Many, many, more happy years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like the best birthday ever. May you have many more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated Happy Birthday wishes. It must have been very exciting to have such a surprise. Hope you have another many more years of fun and surprises.

    ReplyDelete