Friday, July 2, 2010

The 1st and the 4th!


Happy 4th of July to all those south of the border. Enjoy your picnics, parades, barbecues and fireworks! In Canada we celebrate Canada Day on July 1st and in every little town across Canada there are pancake breakfasts, parades, picnics and many towns celebrate with outdoor concerts and fireworks. There are a lot of similarities between our two countries but there's a lot we don't know about each other as well. In Canada we just celebrated our 143rd birthday. If you would like to know more about our country, just slip down to read my Canada Day post below. I have links to all of our Provinces and Territories.

We celebrated our special day by taking a picnic out to my husband's uncle's home on Island Lake. The day was beautiful and the company fine. He's an American who served in the 4th Marine Division in World War II. At the age of 93 he can still tell some great tales of his days in the service. As we left we wished our American Uncle a Happy 4th of July. My mosaic this week is of his home on beautiful Island Lake.

I'm linking to Mary's Little Red House. I'm sure you'll see lots of red white and blue there this week.

16 comments:

  1. Hello Sheila! Thank you for visiting my Salt Spring day! It looks like you had a wonderful time too - how interesting and lucky you are to have an uncle who has those amazing stories to tell! I am collecting stories from my father-in-law for my other blog - as a keepsake of those from times gone by. I love your photos too - how lovely! It looks like a wonderful place to visit. See you soon! And thanks again for visiting me. Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely mosaic of a lovely place. Happy Holiday to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely mosaic the scenery is gorgeous! I hope you had a Happy Canada day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a great Canada Day! We did too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderfully cool there and love that at 93 he can still tell stories. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Canada Day to you. I believe we have had only 143 birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful mosaic. Glad you enjoyed your holiday. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful mosaic, Sheila! Happy Canada Day to you! Thanks for sharing at MM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great mosaic and story -- I love that Canada day is the first and so close we get to pretty much celebrate together.

    Love the steps...very creative capture.

    Stop by on a Friday some time ... would love you to join in.

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the stairs, I have a thing about outdoor stairs, I spent a lot of my youth with my granny, and she lived over a garage in an apartment with outdoor stairs going up to it.
    thank you for this lovely memory...and thank you for being so faithful to visit and comment on my blog...hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photo mosaic. I especially like the picture of the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a summery mosaic, Sheila. I especially like the steps - 100% cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such great info on Canada in your previous post - thanks for taking the time to share that with us all.

    We love to drive over the border (I'm near Buffalo NY - so the Peace Bridge and of course Niagara Falls connects us in just 20 minutes or so). A beautiful country indeed.

    I love the middle photo on the right side of your mosaic. What a beautiful spot to live in.

    So glad I stopped by for Mosaic Monday!
    Valerie@Composition-Life and Intelligent Expressions

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Canada Day! What a lovely post.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful lake house in your mosaic! We had a quiet holiday weekend at home this year which was relaxing and re-charged our batteries. It was too hot to do much else!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I often say we need to record older family members telling of their youth and the things that happened years ago! What a treasure to spend time with someone who's done so much!
    I hope you stop by my post - I have two giveaways this month!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete