Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Handmade





One of my blogging friends is starting a special day on her blog so I have decided to show you the reversible apron I made for my daughter's birthday last week. She lived in Cortona, Italy for several months in 2004 and as a result loves everything Italian. One of her gifts was "Love Rome - Love the Food" a big cookbook which is filled with beautiful pictures of the architecture, markets, food and people of Rome. So I felt that I should make an apron to match. It has a beautiful olive print on one side and Roman columns on the other. She loved it! One of her favorite memories is of the time she and two friends went to a local olive grove to help harvest the olives. Our dream is to go back to Italy together but until then we shop at the "Italian Centre" in Edmonton and enjoy reading all the wonderful recipe books she's collected over the years.

This apron was simple to make and I have 4 others in various prints ready to sew together.
It's easy - just pin right sides together remembering to stick the ties inside the layers first (poking out the sides) and at each side of the bib. Sew around the sides and bottom with a 1/4 inch seam and then clip the curves. Leave the top of the bib open to reverse the fabric. Sew the bib top closed by hand or with a machine top stitch and then sew around the outside edge with a top stitch.
At a local store I often find sets of pillowcases on sale. Buy two sets and see how many aprons you'll make out of those two sets. Be creative!

I am linking this post to Olga's Handmade Monday - if you've been making something lately you might like to join her.

4 comments:

  1. I like that apron, and I'll bet your daughter does too. Very clever - and it will go very well with whatever Italian dish your daughter dreams up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful present! It's very pretty. I don't know which side I like the best; they both are so cute.
    I'm very happy to have you join me for the Handmade Monday! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila
    I like the idea of a reversible apron and the one you made for your daughter is very pretty! I am so happy she had a good experience in Italy, and I do hope you both are able to make a visit there again one day. It has been quite a while since our last visit and my husband and I also yearn to go back. He has so many extended family members that live all across Italy and we miss them. We're trying to teach his Uncles how to use SKYPE to have video hats. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheila, so nice that you stopped by for a visit. I am not creative, nor do I write great stories or poems or take wonderful photos. I guess what I do best is enjoy all my friends blogs and I love commenting and encouraging. I have a special spot for those who are battling cancer and try to make a point of visiting these lovely people each day
    I love the apron you made, it is so nice and such a wonderful idea.....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete