Sunday, September 4, 2011

Florence, Italy

 

The last time I went to Florence was in the summer of 1973.  I always dreamed of going back some day and so this summer we took the train from Camucia/Cortona and arrived in Firenze just a few hours later.  We decided to buy a "Hop On - Hop Off" bus tour for two days and our first bus trip circled the city.  We drove to Piazza Michelangelo and captured wonderful views of the Arno River and beyond.  Shortly after crossing the river we hopped off and found our way to our hotel which was in a perfect location because it was close to the major sites such as the Duomo and the Uffizi Gallery.  We took a chance and didn't pre book tickets to the Uffizi.  Instead we went 45 minutes early the next morning and entered the gallery as the 10th and 11th tourists that day.  That was an amazing feat to be sure because as we left the gallery the lineup was hours long.
There are so many wonderful paintings and sculpture within the walls of the Uffizi Gallery and we tried to beat the crowds by going first to "The Adoration of the Magi," by Leonardo da Vinci. We were able to sit in the room alone while looking at his unfinished masterpiece. Although this was terrific planning on our part, we accidentally missed the Botticelli Room and found it on the way back.  Seeing the "Birth of Venus" from behind a hundred or more people is not an ideal way to view such a magnificent work of art.  We had been in most  of the rooms in the presence of just 2 to 10 other people though, so the experience of visiting the Uffizi once more was truly amazing.
Here's a link you might enjoy if you have time for a tour. http://www.googleartproject.com/museums/uffizi
The history behind the cathedrals of Santa Maria Del Fiore (The Duomo), San Lorenzo and Santa Croce can be found here.

Because we took so many pictures I decided to make a few collages to show you some of the highlights of our visit to Florence.  All the collages will be enlarged if you just click.   If you have time pop by to see more collages for Mary's Mosaic Monday at her Little Red House.
I appreciate all your comments and look forward to catching up on all your blogs.  Thanks for visiting mine.  hope you're enjoying a great Labour Day long weekend!





14 comments:

  1. A Beautiful old city. One I have never visited but wished that I had. However, I couldn't bear the queues. You were lucky when you went earlier. It must have been awe inspiring in the gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila, I am so glad you are continuing with your Italy series. The photography in these mosaics is incredible, particularly that of the architecture! How wonderful you were able to take in those popular exhibits.

    Hope you're enjoying your long weekend and thank you for your kind comments on my blog, The Gardening Life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made me long to see Florence again, Sheila. What a trip you must have had!
    I'll never, ever forget the first time that this little Canadian girl saw Botticelli's The Birth of Venus - to that point it had been an image on a glossy calendar page. I was stunned - could hardly leave the gallery - and I've never forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a fascinating city! The architecture is breathtaking! I especially love the last mosaic with the beautiful views over the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila, What a wonderful trip you had! Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to Florence but want to one day. Your post is making me long for it even more. What fantastic art. And how fortunate to be there without hordes and hordes of people (except for The Birth of Venus).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just lovely...every direction you look there is such beauty! I'm really enjoying all of the photos from your trip to Italy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelia, I have also enjoyed your collages and virtual tours of Italy. That is brilliant to get into the Uffizi ahead of the crowds. Thankyou for the lovely comment you left on News from Italy about the virtual tour of Bolsena.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that you were able to return all these years later and that you and your daughter were such smart cookies to figure out a few helpful things. Did I catch you taking your own picture in the jewelry mosaic?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! So much to take in, you must have felt like your head was spinning after seeing so much.
    One of the bridges in the last photo looks like it has shops on it, is that what I'm seeing?
    Fabulous photos, dear lady.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheila, Florence is my second favorite city in the entire world after Venice! I also visited it two times in my life --once in the 70's and then in 2001 with my husband and children. We spent a week in Florence and saw so much of it..all very memorable. My son and I actually climbed all the steps to the top of the Duomo's bell tower! My daughter and I purchased earrings from a jewelry shop on the Ponte Vecchio, so I really enjoyed your jewelry mosaic. I was most impressed with viewing the statue of David in the Academia ...what a stupendous work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sheila,
    I once spent just a few hours in Florence, but will be there for 3 nights later this year. Thank you for all of the useful information. I've just clicked your follow button and look forward to more on this city.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have been to Italy several times and can you believe we have not yet gone to Florence! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like a beautiful old city...one I would like to visit one day! Thanks for taking us along on tour.

    ReplyDelete