
Did you ever own one of the "How to Draw" or "How to Paint" books way back when?
I remember I had a couple of books and now I own one again. One of the nicest things about having a daughter is that she will remember your stories. Mine spotted "How to Draw and Paint Fashions" in a second hand store, bought and thought it would make a perfect birthday gift for her mom. She remembered that when I was in grade ten I was determined to get a summer job and after seeing a Hudson Bay help wanted ad for an artist to draw fashion sketches for their newspaper advertisements, I applied. Amazingly I was given my first job interview. I was asked to bring a portfolio so spent the next couple of days and nights drawing fashion sketches. I'm sure they must have been copied from current newspaper and magazine ads but in any case the personal manager interviewed me with respect and took a look at my sketches with interest. A couple of days later I got a call informing me that the position had gone to someone else as it was a permanent one but I did get a summer job as receptionist at The Bay Beauty Salon and enjoyed the experience....nothing ventured nothing gained and it was fun to act as a hair model for one of the stylists!
What a difference a day makes -
yesterday
today - it's been snowing all day and there's no sign of it stopping...
Tomorrow's another day and the forecast is for 8'C - we'll have to wait and see it to believe it!
What a sweet daughter you have! That's a very cool story, too.
ReplyDeleteOhhhh, you're west of us, right? Oh no. Do not send that stuff our way! The swings in weather this spring are nasty.
Snow! I'm sitting here with the ceiling fan buzzing on high! Seems like it should be Spring everywhere! I still have an old book on how to draw cats. I loved those books.
ReplyDeleteI had a few of those how to draw books, one on cartoons, trees and faces. It snowed a bit last night here and last weekend it was so nice and warm. The weather is crazy all across the country it seems.
ReplyDeleteHope you have lots of fun with your new book!
ReplyDeleteLove the last ice cream cone shot! The snow may not be welcome but it sure makes for lovely photos.
I've always admired the talent of those who can draw. You know how they say everyone has a gift? I'm still looking for mine.
ReplyDeleteSheila, this made me smile! I spent a couple of summers drawing fashion ads - then I drew whole wardrobes for imaginary working women. I wasn't much of an artist, but I loved the planning and the dreaming.
ReplyDeleteYour daughter is so thoughtful - a gift like that is so very personal.
I've always longed to draw. Your daughter is so thoughtful to remember your story and to give you this book. I was also impressed by your story of applying for the fashion drawing position at The Bay - such confidence for a young girl.
ReplyDeleteSnow on April Fool's Day - no fun at all!
Oh goodness me, hope it does not last long!
ReplyDeleteSo lovely of your daughter to remember that you loved those books.
ReplyDeleteThankfully another day has brought warmth and melting! Hopefully this is the last of the spring snows. Wouldn't that be a small miracle?
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your story of childhood memories. Do you still enjoy drawing?
I remember those how to and learn to draw books too, the one your daughter gave you brings back memories of a different time.
ReplyDeleteToo bad about the snow, maybe it will be a distant memory soon.
Yes I remember how to draw books but not fashions. Shame you didn't get the job.
ReplyDeleteHas Spring forgotten you up there?
Maybe you can have another career now in fashion illustration! Snow at this time of year is so hard to take!
ReplyDeleteHappy Easter Sheila,
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that we have been enjoying all our beautiful spring flowers for weeks now and you, my dear, are still so deep in snow!
Hopefully by now there is a glimmer of spring on your horizon?
xo
Maggie
Sorry I missed this post, Sheila. It brought back memories as I also wanted to be an artist hen I was a child, and owned many "How to Draw' books. I also bought mnay for my children when they were growing up and I still have them :)
ReplyDelete