Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Bears In Our Backyard



Today at lunchtime the farmer looked out into our big backyard and noticed 4 black bears. There were three yearlings and a mother bear. Yesterday, my son was driving past a field just west of ours and noticed two bears. Often we see deer, moose, coyotes, occasionally a fox , once a wolverine passed by and one winter we had a resident porcupine who often curled up for a snooze on a pedestal flower pot I'd left just outside a downstairs window. We know bears are around and have spotted a lone bear once in awhile but this is a new experience. I wore my bear bell outside when I was planting annuals today and I'll remember to wear it when I'm outside alone from now on. I just hope they will stay in the 60 acres of forest we've left for the wildlife!


9 comments:

  1. How beautiful to live among such variety of wild life! The last area we lived we had lots of coyotes and i loved them! I loved the howls at night and watching them play in the morning.
    Here on Vancouver Island there are no coyotes but lots of deer.
    Great photo of the bears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not be a happy camper if there were bears that close...I'm not one that wants to live around any wildlife that is dangerous. I don't care how pretty they are. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to see bears a lot when we lived near Cold Lake. Over here we see the odd little black bear, but the sightings are rare. Keep on wearing that bear bell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheila,
    Just a note to thank you for your sweet comment on my blog...I do make my own toppers, and I change it way too much...a lil compulsion going on with me...LoL
    I plan to put pictures in the left one, and change the ones on the right when hot weather hits and I can't get outside...
    drop in again...
    hugs,
    glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible experience. I would probably be scared to death though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sheila. Thank you for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island. You live in paradise - to have animals living so close - what a wonderful experience! We do not have bears here on this part of the island, the Saanich Peninsula, but do have rabbits, deer and many birds. I love watching the birds and to hear them sing - makes us happy! So nice to meet you. Michelle. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have them come so close, but not too close, right?
    Your bear bell sounds like a very good idea, keep on wearing it won't you.
    ~Maggie~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, me again.
    Sheila I just noticed that you have a link to my Normandy Life blog on your sidebar, thanks so much but cherie, it's not linking to me, technical hitch somewhere I should think.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Grief, Sheila, that is fantastic! Bears and all those other creatures in the backyard.
    And I make a fuss over a squirrel and some raptors flying over the house.

    What does a bear bell do?

    ReplyDelete